Racing Tires, Regular Tires, Shaved Tires, Bald Tires

TheAWK

So i called up my tire guy yesterday and asked if I could get some slicks for when I take my car down the track.

Now he suggested i just get some new tires and get them shaved which will give me maximum contact. Now in watching some drag racing, I always see the sidewall torque and add more jump to the start. This has to be an advantage to a Racing SLick.

So now the final question. I have bald tires Keep them? I have decent tires, Run them? Or go out and get new tires shaved? Or buy specifically designed racing slicks.

I am looking for the balance of performance and price. Thoughts?

Bald tires for traction? :eek: Thats absurd.

Get some racing slicks if you have a manual for the track, or you can get radial drags if you have an automatic.

Get a nice set of nittos if you want street traction.

Bald tires for traction? :eek: Thats absurd.

Get some racing slicks if you have a manual for the track, or you can get radial drags if you have an automatic.

Get a nice set of nittos if you want street traction.

the theory to that was the less tread means maximum contact, now if it was to the belt, then thats counterproductive, but in the meantime it would have a lot of contact

the theory to that was the less tread means maximum contact, now if it was to the belt, then thats counterproductive, but in the meantime it would have a lot of contact

Shaving a tire is only beneficial when cornering, the idea being less tread, less tire roll.

You would have to completely shave off all of the tread down past the wear bars to get any benefit out of shaving a tire for use in a strait line. There wouldn't be much tire left before you hit the cords.

I wonder if he is the same guy that told me you can't get a good tire balance using tape weights and the only way to get it perfect is to use wheel weights. :eek:

Rico has Nitto NT555 on the rear of his car and the same tires I am planning on buying soon.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.nt555

Those are the tires I had on my 91 prior to getting the Boyd Cottington wheels, and they are now on my 93. They are fine for the street, but won't be worth spit on the track.

Last time I tried racing my 91 on street tires, I couldn't do any better than 13.1, no matter how I launched.

David

the nitto 555 are street tires
the nitto 555R are the 'Race' tires, they suck too i had them.
BFG Drag Radials are decent street tires and good track tires
Mickey Thompson ET Street radial are great track tire and decent street tire i hear.
mickey thompson et street are great track tire, i wouldnt use em on the street they SUCK in the rain. thin tread dont go driving over rock with them
mickey thomspon et drag, best track tire, illegal street tire.

Back