Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Autorotor question

David N. most of us have given up chasing the big numbers, money vs reward is no longer there, furthermore, giving up comfort over HP is even a bigger disappointment. So following the so called recipe is the safest and smartest way to appproach the big numbers, which unfortunately is not so big anymore, but still respectable for an old tech V6. Let’s not disregard it by any means. And unless on nitrous or a twin screw or tvs good luck getting close to it, albeit I applaud the 400whp MPX cars.

Heads that can flow like the SVO motors would be uncharted territory, but can bring us past the 500whp and closer to the 600whp and likely the only thing left to do on these cars, unless swapping motors and adding cylinders.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 12-28-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    David N. most of us have given up chasing the big numbers, money vs reward is no longer there, further more, giving up comfort over HP is even a bigger disappointment. So following the so called recipe is the safest and smartest way to appproach the big numbers, which unfortunately is not so big anymore, but still respectable for an old tech V6. Let’s not disregard it by any means. And unless on nitrous or a twin screw or tvs good luck getting close to it, albeit I applaud the 400whp MPX cars.

Heads that can flow like the SVO motors would be uncharted territory, but can bring us past the 500whp and closer to the 600whp and likely the only thing left to do on these cars, unless swapping motors and adding cylinders.
    Yes...I think 500 rwhp or 600+ HP at the crank for a supercharged 6 cylinder is still pretty impressive. During 2017 Power Tour I bet these Chevy guys my 25 year old 6 cylinder Ford could do a better burnout than anything they had.

David

PS: My next mod will be a quieter exhaust system.
    Last edited by David Neibert; 12-28-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Ira,

10 or 15 years ago I was all about making more power and going quicker on the track. Now days, I still want the power or most of it, but I also want the car to be comfortable to drive. So now I'm more interested in doing things that make the car look good and feel good to drive. So stuff like a tighter torque converter, smoother driveshaft, good sounding stereo, exhaust and working AC are more important than making another 30 rwhp or running 10.8 instead of 10.9. You can blame some of that on my age, but I think most of it comes from driving and modding a 2014 Shelby GT500 and more recently a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. With the modern muscle cars you can have big power and not give up reliability or the creature comforts.

I love my SC, but no matter how much time and money I put into it...it will never be as good as the modern muscle cars.

David
    Oh I understand all right. I was just surprised the way you phrased your reply is all. Just because you and I are old and want a little more reliability out of the car doesn't mean it isn't alright for someone else to come along and learned from what we have done. Who knows, maybe they will find that extra few horsepower that we never did.

Look, for one reason or another I haven't had the car on a dyno for three years now. Does it drive me crazy sometimes that I don't have a current number? Sure does. But I can't afford to break anything anymore either, so I will have to be content knowing what we've been able to accomplish with these cars and that in some small way we led the way. Would I love to grab a pair of slicks and see just how many tenths I can shave off my last run? Just as badly as when I ran 13.2 and decided that what the hell, how hard could it be to run 12's? lol Wasn't that a learning experience.

You know the history of my car, and some of the boys know it better than I do. But some of the experiments that Dave did to my car I have to think are benefiting others now and I have to be content with the knowledge that he is going to use what we learned to build someone else something quicker and faster. Maybe even more reliable too, who knows.

So I was just surprised with the tone of your post is all. Hell, I've always had the A/C in it, and I finally broke down and replaced the seat covers and yes, even the stereo. Now I am finally trying to learn how to tune the car, since the last couple of problems all seem to have stemmed from a bad tune file. So there is always something to play with if you want to. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a problem free Hellcat too, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. So I take out the SC and look for Hellcats to play with

PS: My next mod will be a quieter exhaust system.
    Exhaust must the the next upgrade for a few of us, plan to redo my entire system this spring. The crush bent dual 2.5" system has to go....
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rzimmerl View Post
    Exhaust must the next upgrade for a few of us, plan to redo my entire system this spring. The crush bent dual 2.5" system has to go....
    My exhaust is simple and about as straight as you can get it, of course I don't have the stock fuel tank in the way.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - 2.3 Whipple
    '90 SC AUTO - Bone Stock
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19

Quote Originally Posted by Ira R. View Post
    Oh I understand all right. I was just surprised the way you phrased your reply is all. Just because you and I are old and want a little more reliability out of the car doesn't mean it isn't alright for someone else to come along and learned from what we have done. Who knows, maybe they will find that extra few horsepower that we never did.

Look, for one reason or another I haven't had the car on a dyno for three years now. Does it drive me crazy sometimes that I don't have a current number? Sure does. But I can't afford to break anything anymore either, so I will have to be content knowing what we've been able to accomplish with these cars and that in some small way we led the way. Would I love to grab a pair of slicks and see just how many tenths I can shave off my last run? Just as badly as when I ran 13.2 and decided that what the hell, how hard could it be to run 12's? lol Wasn't that a learning experience.

You know the history of my car, and some of the boys know it better than I do. But some of the experiments that Dave did to my car I have to think are benefiting others now and I have to be content with the knowledge that he is going to use what we learned to build someone else something quicker and faster. Maybe even more reliable too, who knows.

So I was just surprised with the tone of your post is all. Hell, I've always had the A/C in it, and I finally broke down and replaced the seat covers and yes, even the stereo. Now I am finally trying to learn how to tune the car, since the last couple of problems all seem to have stemmed from a bad tune file. So there is always something to play with if you want to. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a problem free Hellcat too, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. So I take out the SC and look for Hellcats to play with
    Ira,

I wasn't trying to be negative, just don't want newbies underestimating the level of commitment (time & money) required to build a road trip worthy 400-500 rwhp Super Coupe. Like I said earlier, I love mine ....but sometimes I just wish I could press the EASY button and make it turn into something that wasn't such a pain in the A$$.

David

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rzimmerl View Post
    Exhaust must the the next upgrade for a few of us, plan to redo my entire system this spring. The crush bent dual 2.5" system has to go....
    Looking forward to hearing what your plans are.

David

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nickleman60 View Post
    My exhaust is simple and about as straight as you can get it, of course I don't have the stock fuel tank in the way...…..
    Keith,

What size are the pipes before and after resonator ? What size collectors on the headers ?

David

My Garage

Looking forward to hearing what your plans are.

David
    Nothing crazy planned, 2.5" mandrel exhaust system SS pipe kit, with SS Magnaflow resonator and mufflers. How soon you looking to make another exhaust for your car?
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

Keith,

What size are the pipes before and after resonator ? What size collectors on the headers ?

David
    2.5", I didn't go 3" like you did.
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '90 SC AUTO - Bone Stock

Ira,

I wasn't trying to be negative, just don't want newbies underestimating the level of commitment (time & money) required to build a road trip worthy 400-500 rwhp Super Coupe. Like I said earlier, I love mine ....but sometimes I just wish I could press the EASY button and make it turn into something that wasn't such a pain in the A$$.

David
    Amen to that!

Ira,

David
    I admit I've have fun modifying my car and making it a lot faster but to be honest I wish it was still stock, kinda like the stock '90 I have....
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '90 SC AUTO - Bone Stock