Barn find 89 SC

robby

Well, sort of.
Actually a rather old garage.
Hi all, my name is Rob from Des Plaines Il.
I'm a, hate to use this term, uh, senior, performance car addict (59)
Aquired a 89 SC two weeks ago from an even older friend (75) who bought it new.
He took it home and parked it in the garage for the winter, drove it some in summer of 1990 and summer of 1991.
He, for some reason he can't explain, kind of lost interest.
Got it running every summer to get the oil changed, had the coolant changed in 1999 as well, oil changes yearly till 2004.
That is the last time it saw light till I got it two weeks ago.

Had it flatbedded home and am currently undoing time, (fluid changes, battery, tires, brake service, etc.

Car has only 6900 miles and is visually flawless.
I'm sure I'll have a few questions as time goes on.

Rob

Sounds like a nice find, have fun and enjoy the ride. :)
How bout a few pics, ;)

Regarding photos, I don't even own a digital camera.....Low tech high tech type person.
I'll get a pic someday and have my son show me how.....till then, imagine a real clean dark metallic blue SC.

Rob

Sweet! Don't throw the tires or battery away, some people will want those!

Well, he put a battery in it in 1996....was OK till last operated in 2004 and has since gone to battery heaven.
It does have the original tires, rather square, mounted on old American Racing color matched rims.
He had the original rims and caps boxed up and they came with the car.
I will likely be installing the like new stockers with new tires.

When I brought it home it looked somewhat disco to me.
Tape stripes, 2 color down the sides, tape stripes, 1 color around the entire lower perimeter, Supercoupe decals on the rockers.....not uncommon dealer adds for the day.
I have removed them and because it was not exposed to sunlight there is no evidence of they're ever being there.
There is a spoiler that I will be removing.....so the deck lid will have to be refinished.
I might have considered leaving it on but at some time in the past he placed a small bottle of something on the spoiler and the paint is all lifted off in that area.
So, something was going require refinishing.....I prefer the clean lines of a non- spoilerd deck lid, so it is leaving.

Rob

Would you contact member "txsx" about possibly documenting the car fully with pictures and such for the project he is working on to establish concurs restoration criteria?

Would you contact member "txsx" about possibly documenting the car fully with pictures and such for the project he is working on to establish concurs restoration criteria?

It's "txsc", and yes, I'd like to discuss getting some photos of the car as-is. Also interested in the "square" original tires. Send me a P/M and we can exchange email addresses, phone numbers, and go from there.

Thanks,

JD

Robby,

Sounds like a great original example SC.

I live down in Central Texas, but am up in the Chicago area on a pretty regular basis. By the way I grew up in the South Suburbs of Chicago. I work for Illinois Tool Works so I spend most of my time in the Wheeling/Lincolnshire/Buffalo Grove area. If you wouldn't mind I would love to meet you and see the car, I could bring my digital camera and take some photos of it for your records and I know Jerry (TXSC) would enjoy them too.

Send a Private Message if you would mind getting together.

Thanks

Charlie

well thats not something you read about everyday

i hope you keep her stock, im not one for modifications

i do enjoy driving stock supercoupes

well thats not something you read about everyday

i hope you keep her stock, im not one for modifications

i do enjoy driving stock supercoupes

New Orleans eh?
I have a second home I lease out over in LaPlace La.
Know the area well.

Yes, the intention is to remain stock and bring anything I can find up to snuff.
It will continue to not experience winters (I have sacraficial vehicles for that duty) and may get rained on if I get caught out with it.
The only downside of getting caught in rain is the HUGE amount of undercar detailing that must follow.

Currently it is living in my driveway undercover while I do brake service/wheel service, some cleanup etc.

I generally don't drive my projects till I've addressed all I could find.
Makes the shakedown drive a bit less on the pucker scale.

Thanks for your comments,
Rob

If you do not mind me asking what did you pay for such a car?

Shane

Well Shane, I wasn't going to bring that up, but......
You may recall my original post, 75 year old friend?

Well, his name is Richard.
Richard knows my long history of restoration, showing, preserving etc.
He didn't want the car to be abused, he wanted it returned to its former glory so..... He GAVE it to me....no strings attached, title signed.

And yes, I was not prepared for that.
I had brought it up every couple of years.....Sort of a ' Tink? (his nickname) Remember now, if the day comes you want to get rid of the bird, let me know.
I'd love to have that one as one of my projects.

And, he'd always respond with a 'I'll call you first'
So, a month ago, we're hanging out with a group of car guys.....a standard Saturday evening ritual, and when he could catch me alone he asked if I was still interested in the car.
I said yep....how much?
And I get, I'm just gonna give it to you then.

Couph, couph,.....uh, GIVE? You sure about that Tink?
Yep, I'm sure....thought about it a bit...really want it to live on so...you're the only one who ever expressed any interest and I know this stuff is no effort for you.

Well, thats it in a nutshell....the rest of the story.

Hope you all got a kick out of it......blew me away,

Rob

Last edited:
Well Shane, I wasn't going to bring that up, but......
You may recall my original post, 75 year old friend?

Well, his name is Richard.
Richard knows my long history of restoration, showing, preserving etc.
He didn't want the car to be abused, he wanted it returned to its former glory so..... He GAVE it to me....no strings attached, title signed.

And yes, I was not prepared for that.
I had brought it up every couple of years.....Sort of a ' Tink? (his nickname) Remember now, if the day comes you want to get rid of the bird, let me know.
I'd love to have that one as one of my projects.

And, he'd always respond with a 'I'll call you first'
So, a month ago, we're hanging out with a group of car guys.....a standard Saturday evening ritual, and when he could catch me alone he asked if I was still interested in the car.
I said yep....how much?
And I get, I'm just gonna give it to you then.

Couph, couph,.....uh, GIVE? You sure about that Tink?
Yep, I'm sure....thought about it a bit...really want it to live on so...you're the only one who ever expressed any interest and I know this stuff is no effort for you.

Well, thats it in a nutshell....the rest of the story.

Hope you all got a kick out of it......blew me away,

Rob
You had better start going and visiting Tink as often as you can then. Usually when older fellas start giving stuff away like that, they know there time is limited...
When I was 12-13 years old I had an friend that lived around the corner from me that was around 70 years old. We lived on a point on Lake Smith and we would always go fishing several evenings a week out on the lake after school. Sometimes we would take his boat, sometimes mine. Mine got to the point that I would have to take it for a run with the plug out of it every couple hours to let the water out. So, we started taking his more regularly. One day him and I are out on the lake fishing and he looks over at me and says "Davey, I dont think im going to be able to do much more fishing, How would you like a new boat?" I said heck yeah!! Told me to ask my father and if he said ok, then it was mine. Mick died about 2 weeks later....We did go fishing a few more times together in my new boat though.

Last edited:
You had better start going and visiting Tink as often as you can then. Usually when older fellas start giving stuff away like that, they know there time is limited...
When I was 12-13 years old I had an friend that lived around the corner from me that was around 70 years old. We lived on a point on Lake Smith and we would always go fishing several evenings a week out on the lake after school. Sometimes we would take his boat, sometimes mine. Mine got to the point that I would have to take it for a run with the plug out of it every couple hours to let the water out. So, we started taking his more regularly. One day him and I are out on the lake fishing and he looks over at me and says "Davey, I dont think im going to be able to do much more fishing, How would you like a new boat?" I said heck yeah!! Told me to ask my father and if he said ok, then it was mine. Mick died about 2 weeks later....We did go fishing a few more times together in my new boat though.

Point well taken frdlvr30.
I think at 75, one probably takes every day as the gift it is.

Tink is a tough ol bird though....a day after I recieved the car he hopped into his 42 foot Holiday Rambler and headed for St. Louis.
Tink still runs the hospitality tent for a unnamed national drag racing team....had to get to the races and smooze the contributers.
Jeez, I hope we are all still running that hard at 75 eh?

Rob

Last edited:
Back