Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 95 SC Fix or Sell?

New 95 SC Fix or Sell?

Hey everyone- First off, I love Thunderbirds. Had a '94 3.8 and always wanted an SC. Found an unmolested '95 5 speed in very good condition, but won't start (bad crank sensor... I think) and in need of some TLC (paint, interior). Odometer reads 26,000 and everything works. Do you think it's worth it to restore or from a financial standpoint, part it out?

95 5 speed yes!

Typo on the odometer reading? I ask because it would be very strange for anyone to consider parting out a vehicle that old with only 26,000 miles and 1 of 572 5-speeds made in the SC's last production year.

Even if it is a typo, a 95 5-speed is worth saving.

I would check the door sticker and make sure it is a true 5-speed.

RE: New 95 SC Fix or Sell?

I can post some pics later but the car looks like it was just left to rot in the hot florida sun. If restored to pretty good condition what do you think it would be worth?

The best way to tell is to search the net, and see the going rate compared to your SC. That's a keeper for sure, how is the under half? What did you pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by madebyme View Post
    .....in very good condition
    Quote Originally Posted by madebyme View Post
    I can post some pics later but the car looks like it was just left to rot in the hot florida sun. If restored to pretty good condition what do you think it would be worth?
    I am having a hard time understanding the condition it is in. I am also trying to figure out if you are actually interested in having the SC, or just looking to fix it up and make money on it.

If you are just looking to make money, perhaps look at Ebay and see what some of the lower mileage Birds sold for on there to get a feel what people may pay for it fixed up.

RE: New 95 SC Fix or Sell?

I took a picture of the door tag and did notice an odometer replacement tag... it reads 40,586 and the odometer reads 24,419 so still really low miles. The VIN in the door tag reads 1FALP64R1SH102454
    Paint Code DSO
    Body SC2
    MLDG 3
    INT TRIM 16
    R 6
    S 8
    AX M
    TR 2JJJJ

I haven't looked inot it yet but I'm sure there's a door tag decoder on here somewhere...

Probably will sell it for less than you will pay for an excellent quality paint job. Been there and doing that now. (Restoring a 95 5 speed and still working on the mechanical side of the house....with paint I will probably end up with 10K in the car.)
    22 year SC Owner GFP
    (Glutton for Punishment)
    1992 5 Speed SC one of 1256
    1995 5 Speed SC one of 574

The TR code of 2 JJJJ means it is an original 5 speed car with "J" code springs front and rear.
    22 year SC Owner GFP
    (Glutton for Punishment)
    1992 5 Speed SC one of 1256
    1995 5 Speed SC one of 574

You wond get your money back anytime soon if thats what you are wondering. I sunk in about 10 on my annie to get it nice. Anyone wants to pay me that is more then welcome to take the car. But I imagine me putting it on the market it will sit for a long time and probably not get close to what I got in it.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Thumbs up RE: Fix or Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sxar View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding the condition it is in. I am also trying to figure out if you are actually interested in having the SC, or just looking to fix it up and make money on it.
    Don't get me wrong I love the SC I just don't know how much I want to dump into it. The body is straight but the paint is toast, doors are tight, trim tape is peeling, driver seat is worn, but everything is there and not to far gone. I am hoping the no start situation will be fixed by replacing the crank sensor and I can clean up the interior fairly easily. The previous owner replaced just about everything before selling it to me for $900 since he couldn't get it going... I know I got a great deal on it just hope I'm handy enough to get her going myself.
    Last edited by madebyme; 05-18-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Let me be the first to offer you your money back and a nominal profit for an original 95 5speed car, I'd love to have one and that one sounds like its good enough to fix and rough enough to modify without feeling too much guilt................Dan
    I don't think I have ever owned a car that was finished---unless it was totaled.

you got a steal on that car good sir. with 26k on the ticker, you'll have a mighty fine automobile in time. restore it original and treat it as you would a restored classic.

hell, with its issues, i'd have gladly paid 2k. your no start problem, does the car crank? could be crank or cam sensor. just go through basic troubleshooting and you cant go wrong.

BUY it and sell it on here.

As stated... a 95 5-speed is 1 of 572 ever built!

It is the rarest of the SC's.

DO NOT PART IT OUT!

You will not get your money back if you spend alot to fix it up unless you want to hold on to it for a long time. But right now you could turn a nice little profit as ALOT of people here are drooling over it right now!

We want pics!

Good luck!

BUY it and sell it on here.

As stated... a 95 5-speed is 1 of 572 ever built!

It is the rarest of the SC's.

DO NOT PART IT OUT!

You will not get your money back if you spend alot to fix it up unless you want to hold on to it for a long time. But right now you could turn a nice little profit as ALOT of people here are drooling over it right now!

We want pics!

Good luck!
    I second this, if you're looking to make money on this you probably won't do any better putting a few hundred or a few thousand into it along with a bunch of work than if you were to just sell it now.
    To make the most off it your best bet would probably be to get it running if you can find out what's wrong with it without throwing a bunch of parts at it. And maybe put a decent paint job on it if you can do it or know a good inexpensive painter. Just running and driving will go a long way in what you will get for it imo.

Do you think it's worth it to restore or from a financial standpoint, part it out?
    I don't believe it's worth it to restore from a financial standpoint. From an enthusiast standpoint there is not one more worth it.
    Last edited by XR7Kurt; 05-21-2010 at 10:32 AM.