Maisto MN12 Thunderbird 1:18 Diecast

OxmanWI

I sent a email to Maisto product development about 2 months ago to ask what it would take to produce 1:18 die cast MN12 Thunderbird models. I got a response back today. They said it would have to be a minimum order of 5000 paid before they go ahead with casting designs and produce the models. So the question is....does anyone have $200,000 (give or take) laying around to get this going?

Someone made a LX bird at one point. I think it was a 96/97 body with 94/95fan blades. It was metal though.

Are you talking about this one? They are junk, I want something that's 1:18, has some detail and is at least a Supercoupe.

tbirdmodel.jpg

Last edited:
We fought to a Marauder made in a die-cast. The best we got was a Greenlight 1/64 scale. Basically a matchbox car.

I do remember having a small plastic supercoupe back when I was a kid. It was maybe a touch smaller then a matchbox car but it was pretty detailed and I recall it being blue. I dont know if any of you guys have this or know someone who still does. Im pretty sure it came out in the early 90s because they made one of the grand prix GT as well in red.

You guys can at least modify this one.
90079540-260x260-0-0_Revell+Revell+1+25+92+Thunderbird+Sc+Coupe+Lowride.jpg

Plus you at least have a plastic model to build of your car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-1992-Thunderbird-SC-Coupe-1-25-scale-Revell-Kit-/220601178489

Last edited:
Are you talking about this one? They are junk, I want something that's 1:18, has some detail and is at least a Supercoupe.

tbirdmodel.jpg

That's it. It is junk. I lowered it, sprayed the windows black and drew flames with a sharpie or something. Then gave it to a friend who had a silver 95 LX. I think he threw it away.

Here is one I did to look like my SC:

100_4694.jpg

100_4740.jpg

How did you make that Cobra R hood? I've wanted to do the same thing for my SC kit to make it look like my SC. But I'm not all that up on modeling, so I'm not sure how to make it. Pointers?

I think the way to get a larger die cast model made is not to individually try, but rather go to some of the larger toy companies who sell these and convince them that they need to be made. Hobby town sells them, Sam's Club sells them, O'Reilly Auto Parts sells them (wix), etc. If enough of us go to the businesses that sell them, they can take that to the manufacturer and get them made. By doing it that way, we don't come up with the cost for 5000 to be made, the retailers do. Just my thoughts...

That's it. It is junk. I lowered it, sprayed the windows black and drew flames with a sharpie or something. Then gave it to a friend who had a silver 95 LX. I think he threw it away.

Very nice work, Micah.

Thanks. The Cobra R hood came from a Cobra R model! I just carefully trimmed both hoods out and used epoxy to blend the seams together. I also snagged the Cobra brakes from the kit. Just a heads up though, that was a limited production kit and can get expensive. The kit I bought was missing pieces and still fetched $30.

Oh, and I have a nice set of 1:25th scale chrome cobra R's too!

Thanks. The Cobra R hood came from a Cobra R model! I just carefully trimmed both hoods out and used epoxy to blend the seams together. I also snagged the Cobra brakes from the kit. Just a heads up though, that was a limited production kit and can get expensive. The kit I bought was missing pieces and still fetched $30.

Oh, and I have a nice set of 1:25th scale chrome cobra R's too!

Where did the bbs rims come from?

They came from Japan. I had to wait two months for them. And they were only in 17's, but close enough. I never did get around to doing stripes on the hood.

Here are a couple more shots. I really need to take new pics with a better camera.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/100_4734.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/100_4737.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/100_4715.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/100_4717.jpg

That's nice work, Micah. Back in 94 there was a company that produced the 94-95 style SC bumpers so people could update that Monogram/Revell kit. I remember the company was located in Carpinteria, CA, but I have no idea whether the company still exists or whether those parts are still available.

100_4694.jpg

100_4740.jpg

I see you have the paint's on this replica but what about the tint's???

I spent a lot of time on the interior....couldn't bring myself to black out the windows. Just flat out never got around to putting stripes on the hood.

Brand Name of Original Model

Here are a couple more shots.

I realize this thread is over nine years old... What manufacturer made the original car that you modified? Been trying to find this generation TB diecast- any scale, any color- probably for five or six years now. The graphic showing the undercarriage won't let me zoom in to see the brand name. Was it Greenlight like the hood?

Back