Canton Racing Products 89-93 Fabricated Aluminum Coolant Tank -CLOSED-

Is that a hole in the top of the tank for cars equipped with VMM (low coolant sensor) ? My SC doesn't have VMM or a hole in the tank, so that could be a problem.

David

Yes, that hole is for the low coolant sensor. It was something that was asked for it to have from the beginning. I can see if we can have them made with or without.

We had the bung put on there so it would be truly 'universal'. I'm sure if it is an issue you can plug it off.

I see this as an issue. If you don't have the VMM then you won't want a big hole in the top of your sheetmetal tank. I ordered 2, and I don't want a hole in 1 of them. Silly I didn't think about this before.

I'll call Nick tomorrow and discuss the level sensor hole with him. He already posted that the material has been cut ready for welding, so we'll see if he'll let us have 2 different models instead of one.

Kurt, I have my old AC compressor that I will mount back up and check clearance for the level sight tube. Maybe they can add an extra set of bungs on the front panel that can allow the tube to me moved to another location as Mike suggested.

The extra hole in the top is not a deal breaker for me. I just don't think it's going to look very good with the hole patched or a dummy sensor installed, and the only reason I'm buying this is for looks. The existing sight gauge location will work fine on my car. The MP cold air divider leaves very little little room on the forward facing surface of the tank, and I doubt the sight gauge bungs would fit without trimming the cold air divider.

For cars with AC, it may require using sight level plugs in the bungs instead of the fill level tube.

David

Last edited:
Kurt, I have my old AC compressor that I will mount back up and check clearance for the level sight tube. Maybe they can add an extra set of bungs on the front panel that can allow the tube to me moved to another location as Mike suggested.
Having 2 sets of bungs will definitely add cost and on a much lessor extent more places to leak (no pressure here, so realistically not an issue). The AC compressor isn't the only clearance issue, you will need to simulate the AC hose that runs next to the base of the overflow tank. My picture shows what I'm talking about.

The extra hole in the top is not a deal breaker for me. I just don't think it's going to look very good with the hole patched or a dummy sensor installed, and the only reason I'm buying this is for looks. The existing sight gauge location will work fine on my car. The MP cold air divider leaves very little little room on the forward facing surface of the tank, and I doubt the sight gauge bungs would fit without trimming the cold air divider.

For cars with AC, it may require using sight level plugs in the bungs instead of the fill level tube.

David

I think reading sight level plugs on the inward side of the tank will be very difficult with the AC compressor in the way.

As for the MP air divider, not everyone has one and some who do (me included), aren't using the parts that would interfere with a front-facing site gauge.

I think reading sight level plugs on the inward side of the tank will be very difficult with the AC compressor in the way.

As for the MP air divider, not everyone has one and some who do (me included), aren't using the parts that would interfere with a front-facing site gauge.

I think accommodating someone who has missing parts should not be part of the design equation. Hopefully someone with A/C and the popular MP cold air divider (complete) will be able to use this as designed since that is how the vast majority of show grade SC's are set up.

The sight gauge thing could be handled easily.

I'm surprised they already cut stuff, as I would have tried to get a sampling of orders and get some test units out there before going full bore. (i.e. have vmm, don't have vmm) Simply manufacturing difference might lead to some changes needed to accommodate the differences. To be honest, I would have thought someone here that had a car with VMM and one without might have pointed out that issue to start with. I didn't even think of it, though all my cars have had VMM.

I really hope that it will work with MP cold air divider. Otherwise I need to think something different air system...:(

I think accommodating someone who has missing parts should not be part of the design equation. Hopefully someone with A/C and the popular MP cold air divider (complete) will be able to use this as designed since that is how the vast majority of show grade SC's are set up.
That may be, but making a drop-in replacement for a stock unit shouldn't need to concern itself for any aftermarket parts either :rolleyes: Regardless, I still don't think the sight gauge in its current location will clear the AC components.

That may be, but making a drop-in replacement for a stock unit shouldn't need to concern itself for any aftermarket parts either :rolleyes: Regardless, I still don't think the sight gauge in its current location will clear the AC components.

After looking a little closer on a stock SC - I feel there is no issue with the existing design.

After looking a little closer on a stock SC - I feel there is no issue with the existing design.
Looking at a stock SC, if the sight gauge sticks out further than 5/8" (maybe 3/4") from the edge of the stock overflow it will hit the AC line.

Just got off the phone with Nick about the VMM coolant level sender hole. All the plates have been cut for this order of tanks and they all have the sender hole in them. Had this been mentioned in the beginning 2 models would have been made, one with and one without the hole. For future production we will have 2 models.

Mel, contact Nick at Canton directly if you would like to get in this purchase for a coolant tank.

Mel, contact Nick at Canton directly if you would like to get in this purchase for a coolant tank.[/QUOTE]

thanks, I sent him a pm and haven't heard anything back.

Melissa

Mel, contact Nick at Canton directly if you would like to get in this purchase for a coolant tank.

thanks, I sent him a pm and haven't heard anything back.

Melissa[/QUOTE]

I just forwarded you the PM that went out to the group with the contact information and details.

Thanks again for all the work Ryan. Make sure to snap a picture once you get it bolted into your car.

The tank came in today. I'll post up some more pictures tomorrow night and looks like it will be this weekend most likely before I can really play around with the fitment with various setups. I must say the craftsmanship is spectacular, clean cut panels, clean smooth bends, and some very nice welding.

Pictures as promised. Install pics to come in the next few days. To those with AC the sight tube is 1" tall from the tank edge.

Attachments

• DSC05229.jpg
    DSC05229.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC05230.jpg
    DSC05230.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC05231.jpg
    DSC05231.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC05232.jpg
    DSC05232.jpg