SCU 2.3 whipple kit pics and dyno results

David,
very nice.....isn't that the same setup Gary had on his car years ago? Do you know why the car is running lean on the top end? I thought you had 80lb injectors.

Ken

Ken,

This kit has almost nothing in common with Gary's except they both used a 2.3 whipple. Yes it does have 80# injectors with base pressure lowered from 55 to 40 psi, but the short answer for why it was going lean was because it still has a single 255 lph fuel pump and we were seeing how far we could go without adding voltage from the KB boost-a-pump. With voltage increased we went pig rich on the top end and had to lean it out. Will be adding the dual pumps in the near future, so I don't have to rely on the boost a pump.

David

Ken,

This kit has almost nothing in common with Gary's except they both used a 2.3 whipple. Yes it does have 80# injectors with base pressure lowered from 55 to 40 psi, but the short answer for why it was going lean was because it still has a single 255 lph fuel pump and we were seeing how far we could go without adding voltage from the KB boost-a-pump. With voltage increased we went pig rich on the top end and had to lean it out. Will be adding the dual pumps in the near future, so I don't have to rely on the boost a pump.

David

Thats good to know. So you still had to up the voltage on the pump? I'm surprised you were able to lower pressure that much and still keep things in check....Looks like the 80 injectors lowered the fuel pressure demands by alot.

Thats good to know. So you still had to up the voltage on the pump? I'm surprised you were able to lower pressure that much and still keep things in check....Looks like the 80 injectors lowered the fuel pressure demands by alot.

Makes sense though. More volume requires less pressure, at least up to a point. And I am sure that David is going to tell us where that point is too ;)

Ira

That looks awesome. What were you making (numbers) on that new engine before the 2.3 Whipple addition?

About 425 rwhp, which is pretty much the same as I was making with my old 3.8 motor. Here is the only comparison dyno sheet I had printed.

David

Attachments

• .3a.pdf
    263 KB · Views: 140
Wow very nice. I saw the kits Dave was making when I got mine tuned. Very impressive numbers and out of an auto car at that. Congrats on probably a 600hp engine!!! Does it fit under the stock hood?

Chris

No it requires a raised hood and is about .75" taller than the 1.7 AR.

David

So is this alky and 93 or race fuel? DETAILS :D RPM?

How is fuel pressure?

93 octane with meth injection, pulling to 6400 rpm. Since we still have the single pump, we had to start adding voltage from the KB boost a pump at anything above 475 rwhp to keep from going lean. Base pressure was lowered from 55 to 40 psi and was holding 60 psi under boost until about 5500 then started falling off. After increasing the voltage 30% we had plenty of fuel.

We were getting missfires at various RPMs that we suspect is being caused by too much methanol, but didn't have smaller nozzels on hand to prove that out. Changing plugs to a fresh set gapped a little under .030 seemed to help with missfires but didn't eliminate them.

David

About 425 rwhp, which is pretty much the same as I was making with my old 3.8 motor. Here is the only comparison dyno sheet I had printed.

David

What did Dave say about increasing boost? I assume you did not have another pulley combination to up the boost. A smaller pulley on the SC might have gotten you to the 500 mark. Are you going to to do that?

Ken

Dave and Dave, bar none excellent craftsmanship, car is amazing, every corner has attention to details.

Does this mean we can expect full 1/4 mile john force burnouts now?

Very impressive results! These new kits look like they will definately pay off. When is the next attempt to break that 500 mark?

Ryan,

According to our calculations the blower should have been moving 1350 CFM at 6400, but MAF voltage indicates we were only getting about 1050 CFM, and we are fairly certian that the 85mm TB is the restriction. When I spoke to Charles Warner back in the planning stages of this project he said it wouldn't be big enough and is probably going to top out at around 1000 CFM. Dave built the inlet plenum to accept a 90mm TB because we thought it might be a problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find a larger TB that was compatible with the SC throttle and TV cable. The dirty air filter that was installed new with the 1.7 AR back in 2006, probably isn't helping either.

David

Ryan,

According to our calculations the blower should have been moving 1350 CFM at 6400, but MAF voltage indicates we were only getting about 1050 CFM, and we are fairly certian that the 85mm TB is the restriction. When I spoke to Charles Warner back in the planning stages of this project he said it wouldn't be big enough and is probably going to top out at around 1000 CFM. Dave built the inlet plenum to accept a 90mm TB because we thought it might be a problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find a larger TB that was compatible with the SC throttle and TV cable. The dirty air filter that was installed new with the 1.7 AR back in 2006, probably isn't helping either.

David

That inlet is a piece of art....I bet that is where the good stuff is coming from.

What did Dave say about increasing boost? I assume you did not have another pulley combination to up the boost. A smaller pulley on the SC might have gotten you to the 500 mark. Are you going to to do that?

Ken

Ken,

No plans to increase boost at this time, but I will be looking for a larger throttle body. I actually think it will pull 500 with nothing more than smaller meth nozzels and a bigger air filter. Cooler weather would also help.

David

Very Nice!

BoratThumbsUPVeryNICE.jpg

I agree about the inlet.

Dave,

Why not switch to a mark viii pedal linkage thus allowing you to hook up to a myriad of larger oval TB's offered for the DOHC mod motors. Also whats the internal diameter of your Maf? That can be a restriction as well

I agree about the inlet.

Dave,

Why not switch to a mark viii pedal linkage thus allowing you to hook up to a myriad of larger oval TB's offered for the DOHC mod motors. Also whats the internal diameter of your Maf? That can be a restriction as well

Damon,

I think the TV cable is the biggest obstacle with finding another TB, but I'm sure it could be figured out. The MAF is a bullet style Pro-M 87mm, and Dave thinks it's okay for now, but increasing the entire air intake system to 4" would be better.

David

Back