Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wrecked 89 5-speed SC

New wrecked 89 5-speed SC

I have always loved these cars, and now I own one! It needs a front clip. I have desided to buy a 1993 N/A bird with a bad engine to use for parts (hopfully pick up Sat.) Once I get all the wrecked parts replaced and the SC going I plan to scrap the rest.

What parts off the N/A bird should I keep? I have read stuff about replacing the gas tank, is this the new tank? Keep p/w p/l motors what other stuff?

Do you need a spring compressor to change lower control armes on these cars?

Thanks!

Russell

Nice find....

Looks like you have your work cut out for you....

Most LX parts will fit your SC.....

I know you have a an LX for parts, but as luck would have it, I have a really nice red 89 SC that I'm parting out that has all the parts you need to fix your SC.....

Russell or The Big E,

You may have read some of my posts regarding the low miler 89 I have aquired.

The previous owner had a trailer shop make/install a tag frame so he could tow it behind his motor home.....never used it thank heavens.

Anyways, the lowest grillwork is really hacked up.
    I can transplant this area if I can find a useable doner.

What I'm getting at here is I can use a damaged front fascia if the lowest section is mostly still there.
    Russell, I can't see the bottom, but there is a chance your garbage is my gold!

Big E.....Do you have anything in the mix I could use?
    I'd prefer to transplant to the one I have....it is flawless with that exception.

Thanks guys!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post
    Russell or The Big E,

You may have read some of my posts regarding the low miler 89 I have aquired.

The previous owner had a trailer shop make/install a tag frame so he could tow it behind his motor home.....never used it thank heavens.

Anyways, the lowest grillwork is really hacked up.
    I can transplant this area if I can find a useable doner.

What I'm getting at here is I can use a damaged front fascia if the lowest section is mostly still there.
    Russell, I can't see the bottom, but there is a chance your garbage is my gold!

Big E.....Do you have anything in the mix I could use?
    I'd prefer to transplant to the one I have....it is flawless with that exception.

Thanks guys!
    Rob
    Once i get a new one I will know if I need anything from the old, If I don't need it I can cut out the area you want and ship it to you if you pay shiping.

Big E, I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by RussellNC View Post
    Do you need a spring compressor to change lower control armes on these cars?
    Front control arms? - No, you don't need one

Rear control arms - possibly not, but a spring compressor would be a good idea.

I bet you're talking about the front.

Welcome to the club! Looks like a nice car you have there!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Yes I think the front lower control arm is bent.

Quote Originally Posted by RussellNC View Post
    Once i get a new one I will know if I need anything from the old, If I don't need it I can cut out the area you want and ship it to you if you pay shiping.

Big E, I sent you a PM
    OK, Thanks RussellNC!

Rob

From the looks of the car in the garage in the back ground this should be no problem for you. Not gonna be a bolt on replacement though as im sure you know. That thing took a pretty good hit... Nice to see someone else fixing one instead of junking her....Goodluck to you...

Quote Originally Posted by frdlvr30 View Post
    From the looks of the car in the garage in the back ground this should be no problem for you. Not gonna be a bolt on replacement though as im sure you know. That thing took a pretty good hit... Nice to see someone else fixing one instead of junking her....Goodluck to you...
    That is my buddy's 79 scout its looked the same for a while now ran out of steam and $$. He has been talking about sell it. It need a transfer case. The engine and tranny have been rebuilt brand new breaks and he was at the end of a 100% rewire when the project stalled.

Yeah I know its going to be more that bolt on. It got the inter fender / core support I just don't know if I will be able to redkneck pull it with a tree and come along or it will have to go to a frame machine.

You can drill the welds off and install another one from a donor car.....

I've done it before and it's not too hard...

Good looking car. i just picked up a "wrecked" 94 5spd from your area a few months ago.

Good luck with the project!!

the 93 should have the better tank...Save it for when you plan to do an exhaust
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Any chance any of these parts cars are 5-speeds? The pedal assemblies are what I would be interested in. Thanks, guys.

On the Road Again!

Well I got it inspected saturday, and got my tags yesterday so I legal to ride! I have not taken any pictures with the "new" front clip complete yet some of my work in progress pictures are posted here. http://bangshift.com/forum/showthrea...89-Super-Coupe

My yellow and red break warning lights come on when I jam the brakes. I tried looking but it seems that all the brake stuff is members only, and new memebers are still not allowed?

Anybody want to sell or rent me their log in so I can do some research?

When the ABS and brake lights flash when you apply the brakes is a warning that the accumulator is going bad....

Very easy to replace.....

Contact Victor at Spinning Wheels about pricing and availability for the accumulators....