Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford (US) 4.2L Crankshaft

Ok, so original Ford = Good, Aftermarket = Bad. Easy enough

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    Are you following Neibert to the dark side???

Ken
    It matters what you consider the dark side. My combo and David's combo is like comparing gin to vodka. Both are alcoholic beverages but are unique in their own ways.

I feel that the 4.2 would pair with my "pure street" combo well. 18 pounds boost, street heads, 'stealth' cam and when needed a progressive shot of nitrous.

The issue is getting this damn crankshaft figured out. I've exhausted my sources for trying to locate the crank. If you have access to a wreckers I'd encourage you to go grab a 4.2 short block.

I should mention I do not wish to be the first to try a China crank....
    Last edited by Toms-SC; 06-20-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    I should mention I do not wish to be the first to try a China crank....
    Don't flatter yourself. You're a long way from being first.

Anyway, I don't understand. I saw several Ford cranks offered on Ebay. What is wrong with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Don't flatter yourself. You're a long way from being first.

Anyway, I don't understand. I saw several Ford cranks offered on Ebay. What is wrong with them?

Anything wrong with this ? Click me

I checked with Ford, and they still seem to be available? The original number you listed has been superseded by 4L3Z-6303-ARM Wholesale cost is about $240 + $100 core charge.

Thomas

Question

do i just need the crank and rods for the swap in my 89 stock 3.8 sc. will the piston fit the 4.2 rods??? is it a direct fit with no modification or some modification.

Quote Originally Posted by 96tbird3.8 View Post
    do i just need the crank and rods for the swap in my 89 stock 3.8 sc. will the piston fit the 4.2 rods??? is it a direct fit with no modification or some modification.
    There's already a post about this. You need to use all the rotating assembly, plus you DON'T want to swap a set of Ford parts unless you want to see motor parts in your rear view mirror (followed by a vast emptying of the wallet as you replace massive chunks of the engine bay area ... )

If you're bucks-down, I'd get the 3.8SC running in great shape FIRST.

Find a 3.8SC parts car, pull the motor, overhaul it, and piece by piece do a 4.2 kit in it (so you can buy the good parts that take supercharging well) and swap when you can.

That's my recommendation.

RwP

im working on a spare motor. need to know what i need to do the job right, where can i find these parts and what do i need???

To do it right you'll need to consider several things.

First, you'll have to source the crank. You can used a JY 4.2L, you can get a reman crank from any parts store, or you can buy new. I have new cranks available for $200.

The rotating assembly starts at $1150 for rods, pistons, rings and pins. You'll need other stuff as well (special bearings, custom balancing, etc.). I build many of these 4.2 stroker kits and I keep most everything on the shelf ready to go.

Some of the stuff is custom (pistons are made to order based on desired compression ratio, etc.), and the crank needs to be balanced to your exact final piston selection. I offer all of these services.

Most of the time you'll find that a properly built shortblock is going to cost about $2000 (just a round number) for parts and another $1000 for labor. This varies and it's not all apples to apples (for example does your local shop have a torque plate for the 3.8L engine?) and so on. I encourage you to look around so you can be an informed shopper.
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Ever used 351 football rods in one of these setups?

SWS

Quote Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post
    Ever used 351 football rods in one of these setups?

SWS
    Not long enough.
    Email me here.