m5r2 questions???

FlyHighBird

i have an 89 t bird sc 5 speed with the mazda m5r2...recently pulled it out of the garage and it would not go into reverse and 5th...i heard they put the m5r2 in straight 6 f150's also to handle the torque. any idea if thats the same trans.. gear ratio or whatever and has anyone used an f150 trans or know where to get one or rebuilt??

There is an adjustment that can be made for those gears without pulling the trans. The shift fork for 5th/R sits on a cam that allows for adjustment. I would try that first to make sure that something didn't come loose causing those gears to come out of adjustment.

i have an 89 t bird sc 5 speed with the mazda m5r2...recently pulled it out of the garage and it would not go into reverse and 5th...i heard they put the m5r2 in straight 6 f150's also to handle the torque. any idea if thats the same trans.. gear ratio or whatever and has anyone used an f150 trans or know where to get one or rebuilt??

They put a transmission with the same designation (M5R2) in the F-150 but very few parts interchange.

Can you not get the shifter to go into those gears at all or it'll go in but they don't engage? I work on these things a lot and I've never found one that wouldn't engage unless there was an internal problem.

How about the rest of the gears and how do they shift?

I was just wondering how well the trans shifts in 1-4 gears? Is it hard shifting? If so, you might want to check the clutch fluid level at the master cylinder. It may be low. If it is, you are probably looking at a slave cylinder and/or master cylinder for the clutch. If fluid is low, try adding fluid to see if shifting improves.

3rd gear grinds unless you double clutch it. and it will not go into reverse and 5th at all....has b&m short throw on it also new clutch, master cyliner throwout bearing

nope... :( time for a art carr aod lol i dont really want to waste my money with this trans. in the future id like to bolt up that art carr to a nice 347 stroker!!

Back