I think it was the water pump, i know its not h/g...........

RedBirdSC

Ok i have the stock water pump on my 105k mile SC. I was dirvin on about 50 on the highway and then I noticed my temp was alittle higher than normal*normaly rides below n of normal*. Then i heard my fan kick on and my temp started ot rise slowly.....Then it got close the h for hot. So i pulled over and turned it off popped the hood and looked around and I noticed a little steam comin off my water pump. So do you guys think its the water pump too? There was no smoke form the tail pipes, no loss of power, no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Please help I need my car back :( Justin

ps. I was only drivin about 20 mins or so.

Last edited:
Theres still fluid in the resivior, and in the radiator. My radiator has a slight leak but its not that horrible. my original fan got broken on one of the bolt mounts so i nought a radiator anf an off another member on here i think, or the tccoa, and the bottom tank of the radiator got bent in so i didnt switch them but i put in the new fan. Just thought i would mention that. But theres still fluid in the resivoir and in the radiator.Justin

Well in order for a colling sys to work properly, it must be able to hold pressure. If there is a hole in the rad I put my money on that, being the problem.

Do you really think its only the radiator? If so do you know if a radiator showp can say take the top tank off one radiator and put it on another? Because the one in the car has a small pinhole in the top tank, and my other radiator got the bottom tank bent in during shipping. Thanks, Justin

Oh ya, why woudl it just now be doin it? I had to drive it liek that for like a month and half and it never did it then, my temp woudl get hotter than it used to the the fan woudl cool it off.

Alright here goes you only have a few compnets in the cooling sys rad cap, rad, thermostat, water pump, H/G's, & a coolent temp sens witch in turn kicks on the rad fan at 222 degrees (low speed) & 230 (high speed). Start the car & Check the water pump for leaks out of the weep hole, it is under the W/P pully you will have to look from under to see the hole. If there is no coolent coming from the pump then wait until the reaches normal operating temp (when the rad fan kicks on) then get a leather glove and sqeeze closed the upper rad hose while squeezing it rev the eng you should feel a water surge like when you kink a garden hose if you have presure you pump is most likely still good. Post back & Then we will go from there. But as I stated for the sys to funtion properly it must hold press.

Well, i check it liek you said, i didnt see anyting comein from the bottom of the water pump, so i lowered it back ground squeezed the hose while it was at tempt and i felt a slight surge.....Also i switched back to my old fan cause it wasnt kicking on till it was at the m of norm but my old one did the same thing? Any ideas? Thanks, Justin*still bummed over the car:(*

I think that might be possible...........would that explain why the car takes a long time to get up to temp but when it does it slowly rises?

if the t-stat was stuck in a partially closed position, it would take longer to heat up and then continue to heat up because it would not open any more. So, yes, it could be possible.

I drove around with a leaky water pump for quite a while (fearing doing the job)....with increased effects on water temp "stability"

The car would eventually calm down...but it might take a while...thus the pressure/circulation problem. But it did read its highest during that period...up to half.

If you do the water pump job....keep in mind some are saying the bracket to the power steering is not necessary.

Assuming that's true...all you have to do is saw it in half and throw out the loose piece.

I decided to saw it in half and put a plate...about 3"X2" to hold it together and with 4 bolts...which works fine and makes it easily serviceable.

I'm going to try my thermostat and if that doesnt fix it.......well I guess I get to put on a water pump lol*crosses fingers and prays its just a thermostat* I'll go get a thermostat now and do that and I'll tell you guys the outcome, Justin

Back