Sold sold!!!!

David,

I'm not sure.

I believe that I ballooned the torque converter. I slowly lost power to the wheels after launching it two weekends ago. Trans fluid level is correct and doesn't smell burnt. AFR was good, boost is correct, and vacuum is correct. It pulled good through first and slooooowwwly lost power through second until it wouldn't spin the tires anymore. After letting it cool down I took it out again and jumped on it. The stall flashed up to about 5k rpm and the tires didn't think about turning. It used to stall somewhere closer to
4k rpm. The trans temperature when it originally happened was just under
200. The vehicle runs and shifts properly if you stay out of boost but once you do build boost she jumps straight to 5k rpm.

I only put about a mile on it after it happened so hopefully the crank is ok. The converter has an anti ballooning plate. Chris told me that this happened before while the vehicle was getting tuned a while back and it wiped out the crank and trans! I pray that this isn't what happened to me.:(

I'll be home around midnight tonight to pull the trans and check things out further. I just emailed BDR converters to see if they will do anything about it if this is my problem. The converter is less than a year old. Their ebay page says that they carry a 1 year warranty on their products but I'm not the original owner, although I do have the reciept for it.

I also have to take the left side header off and reweld it as one of the welds is busted and leaking.

I am somewhat scared of getting run out of the shootout after reading the latest postings in the Smack Talk thread. I guess I could borrow the proper attire if it came down to that but would hate to trailer it to Ohio just to have to trailer it back. The local track doesn't give anybody problems about how most cars or people are equipped but its an 1/8th mile track and I'm only there for test tune/street legal. Their just happy to see people participating.

It would be nice to see a large group of well maintaned Thunderbirds and Cougars as it may help motivate me to fix the other two I have torn down right now. So we will see. Thanks for the interest.

If you get a fire jacket and helmet, you can go as quick as 11.50 in that car and still be NHRA legal.

I'm very familiar with the last trans/converter failure and this new converter shouldn't have balloned. Sorry to hear about the transmission issues...I tried to convince Chris to install a Lentech AOD instead of that C4, but he thought the lighter C4 would be strong enough. I think the car is too heavy for a C4. A lentech AOD or a TH400 would be my top two choices.

David

Back