FOUND IT the alsomeness just keeps coming...back running=)

92sclikenew

so i decided to pull the cam sensor off. bump the car around and the top of that distributor doesn't go around... assuming my oil pump froze..

the car does start up but I DO NOT WANNA RUN IT AGAIN!! till i figure out whats up

guess im in for pulling the timing cover?? at least.

hope my bearings didnt get killed..:eek:

pretty sweet. this is what i found so far... what the hell caused this...:eek: the oil pump drive aint broken ether

so both the cam gear and cam stalk gear are beat up.. .

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 269
I'm guessing either the cam seized or the teeth just failed.

the motor still runs the cam is fine. just the teeth are beat up..

ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA CAM GEAR THEY WANNA LET GO??? not the one for the timing chain...

thanks!

With everything you have listed in your sig I'd get a new timing gear and synchronizer.

O'reilly's lists the synchro but not price.

I wouldn't want to take the chance of having messed up the timing gears too and roasting the engine. Oil pump needs to come off too to see if it seized and why.

does anyone know anything about that gear is it interchangeable with another car beside a sc? like the lx 3.8?:rolleyes:

Yes the LX 3.8 uses the same synchro. All DIS 3.8s use the same syncrho.

what year did they change them to dis 3.8s?

all the ones i know of have a norm distributor in them. are those the ones

because all i know are the sc ones.

i already picked up the syncrho i just need the gear that goes on the end of the cam. and am wondering why this happen....

i didnt mess with the oil pump much but it didnt seem froze.
this is not of my engine.
attachment.php

Last edited:
You know....it would be helpful if you kept just one post going about this issue.....would make it a lot easier to follow along and keep track of what was done when.

I've seen that before. There is a good chance the engine may have bearing issues after having all the shrapnel run through the motor, but I guess you'll find out after you get it running again. The last time I saw a gear look like that all the rest of the bearings in the motor were shot too.

It could be just very high mileage and worn parts that caused the failure, but I suspect it also could be caused by oil pump cavitation. Suggest you get a new, or better condition timing cover, at least. I imagine the bushing that it rides on is probably toast. Take your pump apart and look for any signs of abnormal wear.

There is also a good chance that the pickup is collecting all that metal as well. You better rebuild that engine while you have something left to rebuild.

N/A 3.8 DIS started in 96, but that's only for the synchro I'd think any cam gear would work though. My bad about the misunderstanding.

You know....it would be helpful if you kept just one post going about this issue.....would make it a lot easier to follow along and keep track of what was done when.

i would have but i took this as a new issue.... :rolleyes: my bad...

Last edited:
I've seen that before. There is a good chance the engine may have bearing issues after having all the shrapnel run through the motor, but I guess you'll find out after you get it running again. The last time I saw a gear look like that all the rest of the bearings in the motor were shot too.

It could be just very high mileage and worn parts that caused the failure, but I suspect it also could be caused by oil pump cavitation. Suggest you get a new, or better condition timing cover, at least. I imagine the bushing that it rides on is probably toast. Take your pump apart and look for any signs of abnormal wear.

thanks im glad this has been seen before:rolleyes:

why would an oil pump cavitation because its high volume?

i think im gonna chance it.. guess ill see once i get my timing cover off..

dave PM me if you have a gear i can get off you

Last edited:
There is also a good chance that the pickup is collecting all that metal as well. You better rebuild that engine while you have something left to rebuild.

i wouldn't expected it to pick up much soon as it broke the motor quit running..

and i only had it run a few times after i got it to run. only reason i noticed an issue is the stock gauge wasn't working and i could hear light lifter tick. shut it down pulled the cam sensor to check and i could spin the top by hand.

that's when i decided the issue was inside.

hey dave i was also thinking..

wouldnt you think if the oil pump was having issues it would have twisted if not broke the drive before the gearing?

the plan is to pull the balancer today and get the cover off it. would have been done yesterday but my cheapo puller broke... so i gotta go rent one.:rolleyes:

i wouldn't expected it to pick up much soon as it broke the motor quit running..

and i only had it run a few times after i got it to run. only reason i noticed an issue is the stock gauge wasn't working and i could hear light lifter tick. shut it down pulled the cam sensor to check and i could spin the top by hand.

that's when i decided the issue was inside.

That didn't happen when the motor quit. The motor only quit because it got so bad it wouldn't turn any more. That crap has been circulating in your motor. Drain your oil and take a close look at what is in there.

That didn't happen when the motor quit. The motor only quit because it got so bad it wouldn't turn any more. That crap has been circulating in your motor. Drain your oil and take a close look at what is in there.

that is a good point... i guess i didnt expect it to be much... :rolleyes:

not that it may matter but this oil only has like 1000 miles on it so i guess it happen with in. since the last oil didnt look like it had metal in it.

Back