just purchased quaterhorse + jaybird

scxr7

just purchased a quarterhorse along with a Jaybird from moates. I downloaded both eeceditor and binary editor, so far I like eeceditor compared to BE since its much simpler. I downloaded a stock strategy for my ecc5 and downloaded a stock strategy for a 95 tbird sc and I'm currently looking at the differences to get an idea of where to start with my editing.

I bought a jaybird to read my diablo chip that was used on my old engine setup to get some more info on where to start. moates support said the jaybird may or may not work to read the image on the diablo chip, but they said it has been done and worked fine on older diablo chips. my diablo chip is about 4 years old, so we'll see if the jaybird can read the info off of it.

I'm a mechanic by trade, certified in engine performance, but I'll admit that I have no idea what I'm doing with this software right now. Just looking at the numbers and going 'ooh ahh'.

I dont know why I decided to post this, but anyways, I might be asking a few questions here and there, I'll try to use the search function as much as possible. sooo yeah, lol. later:p

Binary editor is a more full featured software, but if you are happy with EEC Editor that'll work. Most people with SC's have experience with Binary Editor, so help with EEC Editor might be few and far between.

You might find other EEC Editor users here:http://eectuning.org/forums/

There is a tuning thread in the members area here where people have been helping each other out.

You can find definition files for your EEC-iv here:http://www.sctuning.net/store/index.php.

Contact the users Fturner or XR7 Dave if you are looking for actual tuning. Both could help you with that.

Last edited:
I would pay the membership fee and become a member on this site, but from what others are posting on this forum the admin hasn't gotten around to granting those people access yet..I'll wait til that issue gets resolved first.

thanks for the links i'll definitely check them out. the immediate reason I don't like the Binary editor software is because when I click to view graphs or to edit scalars the units columns are all empty except for a few sections. I'm unsure of what to label the units as. well..most of them I'm unsure of, there are a few that are obvious. whereas the eeceditor has all of the information filled in for the stock ecu binary. I haven't recieved my Quaterhorse yet, so for now I'm just tinkering, filling in the values and getting an idea of what to do and what to look for. I'm looking at this as a whole new part of my car to explore. I'm all out of money to spend on the drivetrain so in order to keep myself occupied i'll be messing around with this new fangled tuning stuff. :) I'm looking forward to learning how all this works.

What strategy are you looking at? Is this for a Cougar or tbird SC? If so, I'd be shocked if the strategy in the EEC Editor is any good for your application.

One thing to understand, the strategy definition is specific to an EEC-IV version. The SC cars have unique versions.

For example, here is a screen shot of the All Scalars screen for the GSALI strategy (works with my 93 SC). I'm not sure what you mean by missing units. But most of the time when units are missing, it is because the definition file for the strategy doesn't have them. not the actual software you are using.

I'm using a 97 tbird 3.8 eec5 in my 96 cougar 3.8.

the 97 tbird ecu is an RCX5 with a CDAN4 strategy.

I downloaded the stock CDAN4.bin along with the RCX5.bin files from the moates website. for comparison purposes I also downloaded the 94-95 tbird sc .bin file also since its an eec5. I know the tbird sc file is going to have more options than my 97 tbird file since the sc's had more sensors. but just in general it should be close enough to where I can get basic spark/fuel/maf numbers and go from there. I'm guessing the hardest part is going to be tuning for my cam. actually, the whole motor has been changed. cam, compression ratio, valve size, mpx, intake manifold volume, injectors...man..:confused:

oh, and about the binary editor being blank.. maybe its because I haven't registered my binary editor software yet. on your picture where you viewed all scalars, everything has a 'value' and everything has a 'unit'.. on mine, however, most of the 'values' are empty and most of the 'units' are empty as well.. for example.. where yours says 'counts, column, num, multiplier' mine has nothing filled in for the units anywhere on adaptive fuel for the RCX5.bin and also for the CDAN4.bin.

You have a lot of confused information that you are trying to put together. First of all, no SC is EECV which is primarily why you are aren't getting good data. EEC Editor is a waste of time with respect to SC's but since you are tuning an NA motor feel free to go with whatever works for you.

As dave said, 89 through 95 Thunderbird SC and 89 Cougar XR7 cars are EEC-IV. Always were, always will.

Your needs with that computer are far away from just about everyone here. Have you checked TCCoA or http://www.v6power.net/?

You have a lot of confused information that you are trying to put together. First of all, no SC is EECV which is primarily why you are aren't getting good data. EEC Editor is a waste of time with respect to SC's but since you are tuning an NA motor feel free to go with whatever works for you.
But my setup is far more supercoupe related than most guys on v6p and tccoa. Let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I have a 96 cougar, with a built 93 supercoupe motor in it. forged internals, SCP stage 2 cam, p&p supercoupe heads with 1.94in 1.65 exh. valves. ported 94 supercoupe exhaust manifolds, cut-n-weld SC lower intake with 3.5" return plenum. 3" FMIC piping, MPX overdriven 15%, 75MM throttle body, 60lb injectors, 1.73 scorpion roller rockers, ls6 valve springs, 7.200 pushrods, ford racing lifters, ARP fasteners all throughout, and an "I <3 cougars" sticker on my back windshield.

I'm sorry that I mistook 94/95 supercoupes as being eec-5 instead of eec-4. like I said, I'm very new to tweaking ecu's. never done it before. so this is all new and I'm probably acting like a noob. either way, I've gotta start somewhere, the 97 tbird N/A MAF transfers are obviously not going to be the same, I figured checking out the supercoupe MAF transfers would help. also, comparing the spark tables. I figure i'll just set the spark to 10-12 degrees and keep the AFR down to 10.5:1 initially and work my way back up. but once again, I'm starting on a clean slate with an open mind.

Last edited:
my first car was/is this cougar that I'm working on. Its always been my project car. ever since I first heard of a supercoupe I wanted to make my cougar just like one. I owned a ~~~ rust bucket 93 supercoupe and loved it. Its not like I'm a mustang guy coming on here asking for help. I've got genuine interest in these cars. sorry if I came off the wrong way..either way..yeah.

There are many things that need to be changed to properly use the EEC V on an SC engine. My suggestion would be to purchase a base file set up for the SC engine on your EEC and then tune from there. Otherwise you'll be on a long road with a sharp learning curve. I won't have time to walk you through generating a workable base tune on your own.

Unfortunately purchasing the J-bird was a complete waste of time. There isn't anything on the diablo chip you will be interested in, the money would have been much better spent on a base file to get you started on the SC parameters that you'll actually need.

I'm also not sure how usable the definition files are for your processor family which will work with the QH. Just because there is one doesn't mean it's right or that it will datalog correctly.

{Edit} Oh ya, and I wouldn't expect TCCOA to have any useful information on what you are doing.

My diablo chip should have peramiters that are close enough to get a base tune going IF the jaybird can even read the peramaters off of it. the diablo chip is already set up for 60lb injectors mpx 15% etc... the only things I've changed from last motor to the new motor are the cam, valves and throttle body. i'll keep the old MAF to have one less thing to cause issues on initial start up. does this sound like a good idea?

Any other chip (sct, Diablo) will have various restrictions that will cause people that tune with them to do different things. Some of those things will allow the chip to work with the car, but are not the best or even accurate way to do the things. But because the SC is a unique platform that isn't fully supported by Diablo and SCT, the generic tuning parameters will get you buy.

Now with the Quaterhorse and the efforts of a select group of people, significant data is available about our specific platform and information from a SCT or a Diablo chip isn't going to be a direct match.

The point of this is just to say. be very careful with what you are doing and make sure that if you are going to assume something, you assume that you don't know what you are doing. As that is much safer than assuming that you do know what you are doing.

in binary editor you probably didn't open the calibration file that's why everything was blank, go open BE, up top at the left click on open >> strategy >> cdan4.xls

then click on open >> calibration >> rcx5.bin

the def file you want will be cdan4.xls, cdan4.bin is a calibration (TUNE) not a strategy

derek fenwick has a cdan4.cry file he made that has much more support than the free cdan4 def, if you really want to pursue tuning that ecu that would be the best option, you can swap ecu's, the cbaza ecu's (94-95 mustang) are about as easy a an ecu swap as possible, IIRC only 2 pins need to be moved

cdan4 is a ~~~~, you'll see multiple scalars in different locations, the cdan4 ecu's reference different memory positions for the same value so instead of the def file being written to update everything at once, it was easier to just make multiple values

cdan4 is really a hack job, so much in those bin's needs to be rigged to modify them that it's really difficult to understand whats going on with it, if you haven't tuned a ford ecu before it can be a hell of an experience, things that should function correctly won't, you'll be chasing your tail for a while at least

wish you the best

Back