I need FUEL!!!!!

ricardoa1

So there has been little developments or "rummors on the internets"-Bush. About a fuel pressure solution for those that reached the limits. I noticed Boost a Pumps have been used here. But some suggest that they are a good way of straining the and killing the fuel pump.

MSD some time ago put out a Fuel Pump Booster that was boost refereced. I wonder what some think of this device and if I should just go for it as the Shootout is fast approaching and dropping gas tanks and upgrading other things is getting to be less practical for me.

msd_2350.jpg

www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-2350.pdf

MSD 2350 Fuel pump booster.
Anytime you add a turbocharger or super charger to your engine and increase the amount of intake air, there is also a need for additional fuel. This fuel pump booster from MSD is the economical and easy way to meet these increased fuel demands. The booster supplies additional voltage to the electric fuel pump in relation to the increase in manifold boost pressure. The amount of voltage is adjustable within a range of 1.5 to a maximum of 22 volts.
Not for use with large draw race only fuel pumps.
Will not work on Pulse Width Modulated EFI systems. (no return line)

They go for about $300 little pricy but I wonder if its worth the money because it has the boost ref feature and will not be hard on the pump when not under boost.

Is it an accesory or does it come standard. I see it has a wire for a HOBBS switch. Im I incorrect?

Is it an accesory or does it come standard. I see it has a wire for a HOBBS switch. Im I incorrect?

It comes standard, but I didn't install the pressure switch because that just adds another varible for tuning. Mine has the wires connected to simulate a closed pressure switch (voltage boost always on).

David

So it it progressive or just an on/off? David why would you tune it? The pressure is dictated by the regulator isnt? I am just trying to achieve no loss of pressure on my system at WOT, Including the nitrous......

I am hoping no major tuning to be made, only the upper rpms WOT tuning where my fuel pressure drops now.

Then if thats the case I can maintain my current drivabilitly since its spot on now for the most part, all with the same 51-52#~base pressure.

If I am reading the MSD correctly it is boost progressive, But i could be incorrect.

The BAP is just on off with the hobbs switch. If you connect the 2 wires together its on all the time. On the marauders we run it all the time before the fuel pump driver module so the computer has the voltage there if it needs it. Never had a problem with the BAP running it all the time. The voltage is variable thru a knob so you don't have to send max volts to the pump all the time.

I picked up a Boost a Pump from ebay we will see if it works. Although I am other issues with the car. The car is developing a stumble of sorts. Maybe the pump will die to force me to change it to a new one. But I dont see a pressure drop on the gauge when it happens so maybe its spark related, but I dont know.

I got other issues and things to take car of. The SC shuffle is back in town.

Chris did you get yours installed? I take it you only need it when you activate the nitrous.

I also read from other SC applications that the HOBBs switch does not work well since the boost comes on very sudden and creates issues with tuning and stuff. So i think i will run it straight up.....

Now about volting up the pump, how does it affect pump durability, if the pressure is the same and back pressure is the same as before. Isnt it the back pressure that puts a larger strain on any fluid pump or airpump?

Last edited:
Rico,

Your not starting to work the program so nobody see's you coming hard are you.

I'm thinking the SC Shuffle is your way of getting your partner to dance a little closer.

:)

Paul

Did you make sure all your lines are not kinked and the fuel filter is good, or possibly just up sizing the lines to -8 feed and -6 return?

No worries, I am on limited time so it kinda stinks for me. Making plans for the shootout have always been half Azzed. I dont like mystery diagnosis or things that happens sporadically sp. Its hard to diagnose. I got a list of things but I only want to get the important things done. Using this car more then just on weekends have proved to be a big FAIL. So I got to fix the rear end, Get a new set of front tires, Kmember busings, And again ALign :rolleyes: Which goes pretty bad with this car. But The stumble is a big problem, I guess Dammon just needed company in the broken SC department.

Did you make sure all your lines are not kinked and the fuel filter is good, or possibly just up sizing the lines to -8 feed and -6 return?

Ofcourse I did not check the fuel filter. I do things backwards. But there not that much miles on the filter the car has.

Can the pump be failing and not show up on the gauge?

Doubt the pump is failing considering its maintaining such high pressure, just seems like you have a volume loss somewhere.

When do you suggest I use this valve. I dont follow. :(

Ryan
I dont think its the pump either but who knows. The stumble is weird and has me puzzled. It tends to happen when i go on and off the throttle. Like its picking up a bad value on the tune, But I unplugged the batter and cleaned the chips connector. It might be spark related but I dont hear backfires.

What does your wideband say when the stumble happens?

What duty cycle are your injectors showing at WOT and 5000rpm's?

Your base pressure is up so high that other parts of the "tune" that isn't normally touched needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I am also questioning as to why you have to run such a high base pressure? Have you actually confirmed you where hitting 95% duty cycle at peak rpm with your current injectors? Have you confirmed that at peak injector duty cycle on your motor be it 75%, 95% or what ever, you couldn't "add" more fuel to correct a lean condition by adjusting the MAF etc?

Lets get back to the basics first before you add another 1000 things to the car with wild hunches.

Fraser

Fraser this car was running nearly perfect after a trip to Daves early in the year. The base pressure is up to 51# because the 60#s were not giving me the fuel I need. Dave tuned the car with that pressure and off I went. I had no issues with stumbles or whatever its doing, this is a recent issue. But I left Daves Dyno aware that the car runs out of fuel pressure above 5500 Rpms as indicated by the gauge. I dont have the data logs but Nitrous tuning was not even possible after 5k rpms. Injectors were at 108# not sure on which tune. On the 400HP TUNES fuel pressure tanks after the said RPM. I needed more fuel delivery but, I did nothing hoping Dalke was going to put out a dual pumper. I dont think he will be working on one till after the shootout. :( So The boost a pump will be the bandage. But I dont have the wideband in the car yet, it was in the anniversary so I got to do that too. But the stumbles are there and pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Back