NHRA approved driveshaft loop ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Any of you guys have pictures of driveshaft loops installed on your SC ? I'm also looking for a specific brand and application that could most easily be made to fit an SC with AOD.

Any info on the topic would be apreciated.

David

Last edited:
NHRA doesn't require a stamp or sticker of approval (like SFI, for example) that I am aware of, but they do have specifications on how the driveshaft should be built. I have hoops that were made specifically for the MN12 chassis to NHRA specifications if you are interested. A couple of the guys on here have them. Cost is $75 shipped.

Thats true Dave!
Also, summit makes a legal generic one that has to be modified to some extent but does work. I have had it in my car for years.

:)

Basically, any of our cars that are 13.99 or quicker should have the loop, correct? Also needed: helmet, fire jacket, and gloves?

Funny that you brought this up David....I just got done reading through the NHRA rulebook...or at least the general section of it!

I made one from a 1" long piece of 6" pipe and some 1"x1/8" stock. Couple hours and about 10 bucks.

NHRA doesn't require a stamp or sticker of approval (like SFI, for example) that I am aware of, but they do have specifications on how the driveshaft should be built. I have hoops that were made specifically for the MN12 chassis to NHRA specifications if you are interested. A couple of the guys on here have them. Cost is $75 shipped.

Dave,

Will it clear my exhaust, and is it the type that doesn't require removal of the driveshaft to install ? Do you have any pictures of it ?

David

Basically, any of our cars that are 13.99 or quicker should have the loop, correct? Also needed: helmet, fire jacket, and gloves?

Funny that you brought this up David....I just got done reading through the NHRA rulebook...or at least the general section of it!

All you will need for 13.99 is an SA or M2000 an up helmet. The jacket, loop, and other are when you get the 11.50 range or have an aftermarket (whipple, autorotor) supercharger installed.

I am using the Summit generic one. Works just fine.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G7900/ $24.95

dumps3.jpg

What about slicks?

All you will need for 13.99 is an SA or M2000 an up helmet. The jacket, loop, and other are when you get the 11.50 range or have an aftermarket (whipple, autorotor) supercharger installed.

Isn't the loop required sooner if running slicks? I will try to get a picture of mine tonight.

NHRA requires hoops when running slicks. DOT slicks included.

Keep in mind that I do not have confirmation yet on what KilKare is going to require. I suggest any busy bodies do not contact the track ahead of time to ask about requirements as this invariably screws things up.

What is wrong with the factory loop? Does it not serve the same purpose or is it not up to NHRA code.

I believe it must be a 360 degree loop, not 180 degree like the small ones that are on there already.

I have the one Dalke shows. I had to cut the bottom bar and weld it in because my exhaust is higher and goes up in the tunnel.

Back