NHRA approved driveshaft loop ?

That looks good! I may have to pick one up when availible. As I got some nasty welds on mine that I modified.

Alan

Looks very clean.

One thought may be to uses stove bolts (rounded half moon head) for under the carpet applications.

May ultimately stop the carpet from wearing thru on bolt head.

Paul

IMG_0100_Small.JPG

Anyone snap a driveshaft or yolk or something with a ds loop this style yet? Curious before I put a loop in my car. After breaking a ds before I dont think this will do anything except protect the 2in wide strip of floor it covers. But you never know, so Im looking for an answer from the guys on here who break stuff:rolleyes:

they are the a reason.

IMG_0100_Small.JPG

Anyone snap a driveshaft or yolk or something with a ds loop this style yet? Curious before I put a loop in my car. After breaking a ds before I dont think this will do anything except protect the 2in wide strip of floor it covers. But you never know, so Im looking for an answer from the guys on here who break stuff:rolleyes:

The big thing they are for is if the "U" joint breaks. This is what is the weakest link in the setup. The OEM driveshaft are good for most people, but when you start to make big horsepower they don't last if you are drag racing.
With our cars we are lucky, we can put a couple loops on our cars as the shaft does not move. If you break a drive shaft most of the time it is in the middle or right at the end where they put it together.
No matter where you mount an extra loop there is always a chance that it won't be in the right place. This is a chance we all take when we make the power that is now common. One thing to keep in mind, the shaft will break where it has been compromised by a nick or bumb in it. Keep it in good shape and be carefull and it should give you lots of good passes down the track.
I have ripped a couple of shafts in my day and every time it has been costly to repair, even with the loops in place. Most of the time you lose the rear end yoke or more... Good luck.....Rich

Last time i ripped the yolk in two and broke the drive shaft in the middle. I assume the yolk went first becuase of faulty u joint etc, and then a dent compromised the center of the shaft. What I believe with these loops pictured is that if a yolk breaks, it has this giant tunnel still to come out to one side and there by denting the center of the drive shaft in the tight portion of the tunnel near the gas tank. I think the "loop" shaped ones would instantly cradle the drive shaft and just let it spin a few inches from where it nomally would, instead of 6in to the left or right. Im just lazy and dont want to put a loop type in if I can get one of these bolt in jobs, they look nicer too haha.

Back