Go to war?

Should we go to war?

• Kill the bastards!

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Nah....

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
Depends on whether we want bio, chem, or nuclear weapons shot at us on our own turf in a few short years. We already know cheap tricks like airplane crashes work well here.

What to do if you happen upon a peace rally by naive protesters to teach them why force is sometimes needed:

1) Approach protester talking about "peace" and saying there should be, "no retaliation."

2) Engage in brief conversation, ask if military force is appropriate.

3) When he says "No," ask, "Why not?"

4) Wait until he says something to the effect of, "Because that would just cause more innocent deaths, which would be awful and we should not cause more violence." Or "America has brought it on itself, given its imperialist actions and has angered the people of..."

5) When he's in mid sentence, punch him in the face as hard as you can.

6) When he gets back up to up to punch you, point out that it would be a mistake and contrary to his values to strike you, because that would, "be awful and he should not cause more violence." In addition, tell him that his "actions angered you and that he brought it on himself."

7) Wait until he agrees that he has pledged not to commit additional violence and that the reason you punched him was mostly his fault.

8) Punch him in the face again, harder this time.

Repeat steps 5 through 8 until they understand that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

These protests are definitely partisan. These same people were silent when the last president bombed the crap out of Iraq in 1998, some say to cover up his problems, & said nothing about him taking us into Kosovo & Haiti.

By being firm and showing we mean business, we have already gotten inspectors back into Iraq after being thrown out several years ago. Would that have happened if we had shown we were weak? I'll help you answer. Did it happen until we got tough?

People tend to forget that we had Hussein in a half nelson in 1991 and only let him out of it if he behaved. There were many conditions put on Iraq of which I think he's broken 16 of these "promises" If he doesn't fulfill his promises, we will have to put him back into another half nelson.

It's possible that we will win this without a shot being fired just as we won the cold war.

go to war?

I agree with Aaron If he cant ship his oil and nothing is allowed to come in or out at all then thing will change. I do not consider myself a peacenick or anti-war at any cost at all. I am however an old that has fought in a war and it aint pretty. If we start dropping bombs people that are in no way involved will be killed, women and children. Its easy to say lets do it but it is much harder to live everyday with the end results of your actions. I personally pray that this will be resolved in a firm way on our part with the least amount of force. The whole world is watching. Tim

I did Desert Storm (AH-64A). 7 months worth. 9 T-72's , 4 BMP's (Republican Guard). I was in Iraq for almost a week.
Talk to my friend who was in Kuwait City hours after the Iraqis left. Total devastation. Looting, wanton destruction, and murder. They would rape the Kuwaiti women, hang them from the ceiling fans and nail their breasts to the front door. Nice people, huh? They would do this to you and yours given the chance. Do you want to pay 5 bucks+ a gallon to run your T-Bird? Not me.
I'm on my way to Kosovo with the Guard soon. My pleasure. We keep the peace and do the right thing, regardless of what the liberal wuss peace nicks say. Remember the commercial? "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later." Let's fix it now and maintain.

Sorry so long, but it has to be said.

flyingunz,
Thank you for putting the human touch back onto this matter. Many (most) people have no idea what happened over there. I personally wasn't there, being only 16 at the time, but I have served with many who were. Like your friend, they have some horrific stories to tell. There is much debate within this country about an "impending" war with Iraq, but I think that the debate is misplaced. The debate now is whether or not to send our soldiers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers into harms way. Let us not forget the other price that would be paid. The price of not going. Of being so self centered as to keep our soldiers from harms way. How many innocent lives will be lost? How many of those lives do we now protect in the northern and southern No-Fly zones in Iraq?

Aaron,
There is no cold war. That is gone. Our battle now is with Terrorism and Rogue Terrorist States. That was not decided by 9-11. Kosovo, Somalia, Bosnia. Any of these ring a bell? Our military mission has changed long ago. Our military mission was just defined on 9-11.

Last Mark,
To set the record straight, we did not had Saddam in a 1/2 nelson in '91. He was standing in front of an execution squad, bound and gagged. But the international community came running to his aid. You see, the UN resolutin passed for the Gulf War was simply to remove Saddam from Kuwait. Not remove him from power. We were on the outskirts of Bagdad, but were forced to halt because of our agreements to the UN. Our objective was accomplished. A victory was declared.

flyingunz,
I applaud you for serving our Country. I too am a service member. I have served now for six years. I remember the 2 hour recall alerts that began in early November and did not stand down until after January. Most people have no idea that this occurred every year. And it was always in response to Saddam's games. We did not finish the job in '91. I'm not for rushing back in there, but I'd rather have the world a safer place. All of you who have not served your Country think for a moment. It may be easy to say, "Let's go kick his @ss!" But you really have no idea what it takes. Just like on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon watching football on TV. It's really easy to 'know the right thing to do' so long as you don't have to get up from the Lay-z-Boy. I ask you to remember those who have sacrificed all. And pray for those who choose to put their lives on the line for everyone else. The price of war is high. Higher than most might think. You have to be willing to send those you love into harms way, before you can say, "Let's go to war!" You brothers, sisters, sons, daughters and anyone else who is important to you. Even yourself. You have to be willing to do this, before you can say whether we should go to war or not. There is a price to pay. I, for one, am willing to pay that price. And I believe that, if we do go to war, those who decide it have thought long and hard about it. I am ready, are you?

flyingunz, maybe I'll see you over the great pond in the big sand box. Take care of yourself over there.

I also wear the uniform and I have to agree with what "Last Mark" had to say earlier. Best thing I'd heard in a long time.

go to war?

Well good luck all of you that serve. It pisses me off that you may have to go over and finish it. We had the chance last time and stopped short. I guess that is another reason I get tired of all this . Its always half way. If we are going to do it than we have to show the world that we arent playing and do it. Sometimes I think these countries think they can do what they want and get away with it. What do you think Russia would have done if a plane was intentionally crashed into the Kremlin? I HATE WAR!! I have served, I have the Purple Hearts to prove it.I get so tired of the screwing around. Well Iam done ranting. Tim

What about North Korea? I read an account of the horrible slave/concentration camps that they have for "dissidents" who have the "audacity" to make any perceived negative comments about the government there.

But the N. Koreans aren't happy enough to simply throw the dissident into the camp to be tortured or killed- they actually take ALL of the family members of said dissident and throw them all in the camp.

These camps rival what the nazi's did in their time. It's appalling that govenments can still get away with such rampant, unchecked atrocities on such a tremendous scale.

Not to mention the whole atomic weapons issues... :mad:

Join the army they said... see the world they said :)

Sorry, I just like that line.

To all of you heading over seas, I wish you good health and safety... I was very sick in 2001 and spent 60 days in the hospital. I'm medically retired after 5 years 3 months and 5 days in the army. (1 in Korea, nearly 3 in Belgium). I just got out officially in mid-November of 2002. I've already got friends in parts unknown. I was combat support (74b), but I wish I was going with you all the same... don't like sitting on my bum when there is work to be done.

Unfortunately, between Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and the troops we just sent to the Philippines, I am fairly certain things will get worse, but here and abroad, before they get better.

Like I said, safe journey, watch your a**es and take care of your own - know you will.

Paul

SGT, USA (ret)

Go don't go. I don't know. I'm glad I don't have to decide. I do know that the whole word is turning into one big ***** sandwich and every one has to take a bite. Everyone! I don't have to go this time. Shore duty is wonderful thing. I did my time with 4 deployments to the gulf. My first of them for the gulf war and the latest in response to 9/11. I do know one thing, the people that pay the price are the service members and there families. So, If you want to go to war or not, pray for those that are there to pay with their blood. That's my 2 cent. Thanks for asking I feel better now.

Thanks for serving. Unforntually it seems that every geraeation sees or serves in a war. Half the guys I went to high school with never saw twenty. Tim

no deal with the economy first ,lets get working.many people are out of work, since 911 our economy is a joke, north america is falling apart, the euro is now the money to trade with . bush is going to bankrupp us all ,lets wake up.

war?

After we were attacked on 9-11 I have to say I had the blood lust and wanted payback in the worst way. However, now its hard for me in good conscience to say we should keep large numbers of people deployed to wage war when fighting and killing are among the last things I would want to do. Also listening to body count on a daily basis is pretty horrific, nauseating stuff. Rather, at this point I'd like to see us pour our time and money into intelligence gathering coordinating CIA, FBI, NSA and the military into more integrated govt. body, increase our ability to locate and effectively respond to more specific targets of opportunity, tighten up our borders, homeland security etc.

Back