500hp sc

scxr7

Hey guys, I was out at a local car meet..if you could call it a meet. just a few guys hangin out in front of a bbq restaurant. anyways, I was talking about my cougar and what's done to it and my issues. usual car talk bs. then he says that he's currently tuning a tbird supercoupe with a coy miller stage 3 motor in it with an mpx and all the supporting hardware. He says the guy he's tuning for spent 15k on the motor and makes 500hp. I was surprised to hear this news because I've been on here for a couple years and I've been youtubing and streetfiring videos of supercoupes and never heard of this guy.

anyone on here ever heard of this guy? he's got a black sc with silver striping/trim, lives in south florida on the east coast. I'm more surprised that the guy knew the supercoupe terminology, such as magnum powers, coy miller, m5r2 transmission, cobra irs swap, yadda yadda. its not every day you meet a total stranger that is into these cars as much as you.

IIRC the SC owners first name is mike.

re

There are many sweet high HP cars out there who don't post on this site.

Heck theres a guy named George he has a pretty sweet ride called SWT SWF something like that I think ! He don't even post here anymore and he owns the freaking website.

Watch out there always someone faster !

500 with an MPx seems optimistic even if we're talking about crank hp. At the wheels? Let's just say I'm skeptical.

anyone on here ever heard of this guy? he's got a black sc with silver striping/trim, lives in south florida on the east coast. I'm more surprised that the guy knew the supercoupe terminology, such as magnum powers, coy miller, m5r2 transmission, cobra irs swap, yadda yadda. its not every day you meet a total stranger that is into these cars as much as you.

IIRC the SC owners first name is mike.

I recall meeting the owner of that 90 Anniversary SC. I believe he said he lived in Jupiter, FL or somewhere in that general area. A group of us met him at the Silver Springs All Ford & Mustang show back in January of 2008. From what I remember, his name was Mark and he was fully aware of the SCCoA but didn't hang on the site at all. His SC was really nice and it was obvious there was a lot of money and time spent on it. He did say he had a Coy Miller engine and was working on or had installed an aftermarket ignition system.

That is all I can remember. I don't recall taking any pictures of his car because it started to rain after we were at the show for just a few hours.

Bryan

yep I was in hobe sound just north of jupiter tonight where I met the guy. I dont doubt the 500hp claim, I think its possible with a built motor,mpx, and some sort of meth/alcy/n20 injection. the guy has a stock ecu/harness with a quarterhorse piggy back tuning hardware. Quarterhorse is actually what brought up the convo of his car in the 1st place. I'm gonna have to see if I can find this guy locally and get a few pics and maybe some friendly 1/4mi runs. ;) word around town is that he'll be at bono's in stuart next tuesday for the meet.

Remember that some of these folks that claim those numbers are basing them on engine dynos, not chassis dynos. Most of the cars over 400rwhp would likely be over 500crank horsepower.

We're used to rwhp numbers as most run their cars on chassis dynos. But a lot of people, when they talk HP, are talking crank hp.

We're used to rwhp numbers as most run their cars on chassis dynos. But a lot of people, when they talk HP, are talking crank hp.

Most guys that own old muscle cars talk theoretical crank hp. If hot rod magazine said this cam and heads equals 400 chp, then they have 400 chp. I've met very few people that have actually had their motor or car hooked to a dyno.

Most guys that own old muscle cars talk theoretical crank hp. If hot rod magazine said this cam and heads equals 400 chp, then they have 400 chp. I've met very few people that have actually had their motor or car hooked to a dyno.
Actually, if the engine in question is actually a Coy Miller engine, then it has been engine dyno'd.

Most hot-rodders just get a crate engine or build something and their engine shop dynoes it. They put it in the car and forget about it. Those claim Crank HP.

Knowing you rwhp and rwtq is just a side benifit, of getting your car Dyno tuned.
The real key is, that your car is setup to effectively transfer that power to the ground.

Chassis dynos are good for:
1. Validating modifications you intended to make more power with. (or proving you were wrong)
2. Giving you your cars power curve so that if you are manually shifting (either due to a manual transmission or a manual valve body) you can get a sense of where you should be shifting. As well as getting a good idea of when you change gears or tire sizes what impact that will have on your shift points.

#2 can be done with an engine dyno initially, but isn't as reliable once you start modifying. #1 again can be done with an engine dyno, but you have to pull the engine each time.

I just mentioned it because a few people here have 500hp SC's as well as lots of folks that don't ever come to this website.

going back to the dyno chat

what folks fail to understand is that a dyno is nothing more than a big ~~~ torque wrench, its a TOOL, and it should only be used as a tool, to aid in doing a job and that's it

I get aggravated all day long by fools that live and die by dyno numbers, it's just a number to give you an idea, does not mean this car is faster than that car

also for those that think dyno tuning is the answer to all, that's just bogus, there's tons of 'dyno tuners' all around the globe that don't even know how to use a dyno accordingly, not to mention all the hack jobs that I see 24/7 that come my way from other 'dyno tuners'

You'd be amazed at how many people come to me after getting their car 'tuned' to get it 'fine tuned'

I wouldn't doubt he could bust 500rwhp with the right mods using an mpx, im not saying its easy or cheap but its attainable

going back to the dyno chat

what folks fail to understand is that a dyno is nothing more than a big ~~~ torque wrench, its a TOOL, and it should only be used as a tool, to aid in doing a job and that's it

I get aggravated all day long by fools that live and die by dyno numbers, it's just a number to give you an idea, does not mean this car is faster than that car

also for those that think dyno tuning is the answer to all, that's just bogus, there's tons of 'dyno tuners' all around the globe that don't even know how to use a dyno accordingly, not to mention all the hack jobs that I see 24/7 that come my way from other 'dyno tuners'

You'd be amazed at how many people come to me after getting their car 'tuned' to get it 'fine tuned'

I wouldn't doubt he could bust 500rwhp with the right mods using an mpx, im not saying its easy or cheap but its attainable

The current MPX will not move enough air to get 500rwhp no matter how good you make the motor, and in fact I highly doubt you will ever see an m90 based blower do that... it is physically impossible because once the blower is OD'd over its VE, thats it, temperatures go through the roof and not alot more air gets moved.

I recently proved that the blower totally on its own dictates how much air moves into our motors which dictates how much HP you are going to make, which has been an argument for some time. Everything else you do supports the blower to move more air efficiently, and a blower design will only move so much air before its wall is hit.

A 1.7L AR hasn't hit the 500rwhp mark yet, and it moves alot more air than an MPX does.

As for dyno tuning. Most people can't afford to get a car fine tuned on a dyno because of the length of time it takes to do the job right, and time is money. So its throw the car on, quickly adjust things so it "runs" then dials in the AFR. Some cars take 5 minutes, another can take an hour.

If I had my way, I'd fine tune a car on the dyno as its alot more controlled environment, then run the car on the street to make sure everything is good with that... but we're talking in excess of $1000 to tune that way because of the time involved to get the car to run like it came out of the factory with a very aggresive cam etc.

Fraser

Back