Thread: Cleaning tweed seats

Cleaning tweed seats

I realize quite a few of you have the 91-93 tweed seats, so I figured I'd ask here. I got my set in 2006 and initially cleaned them up with a hoover steamvac, which did a good job for the most part but its not really a steam cleaner, its more of a vacuum cleaner that sprays warmed water.

Theres a few light stains here and there I never was able to get out and since I'd like to freshen them up again(3 summers with the windows down with road construction dust blowing around) I'd like to see if I can get those stains out as well. Also the bird embroidered into the vinyl looks darker on one seat vs. the other which I'd like to clean as well. These seats would be MINT if I could take care of this.

I'd prefer to avoid harsh chemical cleaners or bleach as I've had very limited success with them in car interiors, but if anyone has really effective methods I'm all ears. I'm a total newb when it comes to carpet and upholstery cleaning so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

The Tweed is quite durable, you can take it to a detail job that has a good steam type cleaner or you could use a product "Blue Coral / Upholstery Cleaner which does a very good job. Spray it on, scrub with a brush, let it dry, maybe redo a spot if needed, vac it really good and redo if needed.

Great to do it on a sunny day. Let it foam up for a min, before you scrub it. Keep bleach and such as far away as possible from you interior.

It will clean up the vinyl also. It's the best over the counter stuff that I have ever used.

Good Luck.

bring that thing to me, i got some stuff that will pull anything out of a seat.

[haynes manual]Use cleaner to clean the seats[/haynes manual]

I used turtle wax upholstery cleaner a while ago on a carpet I had with good results, that might be similar considering it foams up. I'll try out the Blue Coral stuff with that technique on the seats tonight. Thanks!

Thats right, the Haynes manual has great info on this too