Thread: procedure for gear oil change 5 speed

procedure for gear oil change 5 speed

quickest easiest way to change out gear oil in the transfer case of a 91 5 speed??and what lube to replace with?
    Last edited by anlo; 09-04-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: new ?

Raise the car up on both ends so that you have room to get underneath. Front end just a slight bit higher than the rear. Like 1" or so. There is a drain plug at the bottom rear of the trans. Take it out and drain the old fluid. Put the drain plug back in w/o over tightening. The fill plug is about mid ways up on the same side. Remove it and... use a funnel and tube to pour new fluid in.
    The m5r2 came from the factory with mercron fluid. You can use that and add 2 oz of friction modifier, or, as I did, use the pennzoil synchromesh fluid with a few oz of friction mod. However, I have the carbon fiber lined synchros, so the combination of fluid +FM has a different effect.

I couldn't fit a funnel in when I did mine. I actually cut a garden hose and plugged it into the fill hole, routed it up towards the shock tower and filled from there.

I mentioned a funnel and tube, but on second thought I think since I used the pennzoil bottles with the pointed tip, I slipped a rubber hose over the tip and and I was able to squeeze the fluid in by holding the bottle up higher than the opening.