Shootout Food

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
We are thinking about doing things a little differently for food at the shootout. In years past we've always done a banquet in evening. Last year we did a cookout at the hotel in the evening with an award presentation/meeting afterwards. The meal went great but cleanup afterward in the night then getting around to the meeting was cumbersome. Additionally we've always done lunch during the day at the dyno/car show that consisted of sandwiches.

This year we are considering doing a big cookout during the day at the dyno/car show, then something easy in the evening back at the hotel along with out awards/meeting.

I guess I'm looking for peoples opinion on the change and some possible menu choices. We are considering two choices for the cookout either grilled steaks or gourmet burgers with lots of fancy fixings (different cheeses, bacon, mushroom, grilled onions, etc)

Then in the evening at the hotel we would do something like burgers or pizza prior to our meeting and I'll also bring along a big pot of chili.

Let me know what all of you think.

I’m still partial to the sit down banquet, although, I really did like the big cookout we had last year. Most people still hang with the same people at the tables but it does allow for someone to sit at a different table and get to know other people. The banquet just feels right when you have an event such as ours. I do understand the time constraint but maybe the awards could be shifted to still allow a banquet or big cookout on Saturday night.

So…my vote would be:

• Burgers for the car show lunch
  • Banquet meal/Big Cookout for the banquet (big conference room with tables for everyone)

Other than that, I’ll eat when I’m told if we change it up. :D

X2

I’m still partial to the sit down banquet, although, I really did like the big cookout we had last year. Most people still hang with the same people at the tables but it does allow for someone to sit at a different table and get to know other people. The banquet just feels right when you have an event such as ours. I do understand the time constraint but maybe the awards could be shifted to still allow a banquet or big cookout on Saturday night.

So…my vote would be:

• Burgers for the car show lunch
  • Banquet meal/Big Cookout for the banquet (big conference room with tables for everyone)

Other than that, I’ll eat when I’m told if we change it up. :D

I'll second Dwaynes thought as well. I missed last years cookout, heard it was great, but I can only imagine the cleanup afterwards. So I have nothing to compare it to other than the other banquets I have been to. I like the idea of the Cookout though, and like Dwayne, I will eat when and where you decide, no big deal either way to me.

Smitty

Last edited:
The reason we went away from the big banquet was cost....pure and simple. A lot of people come to the shootout on a real shoestring budget so we do our best to keep costs down.

The hotels were charging room rental fees plus expensive catering fees for the sit down banquets. We had better food at a big cost savings by going to the cookout.

The banquets of the years past were super nice cause everyone was together and everything was done rather well, the cookout food last year was awesome, but we were scattered all about and some of us almost missed the meeting, and I can see it being hard for those that cooked, served, and then cleaned since most of the them were there for the shootout and didn't get a chance to relax and enjoy it. I think a nice big lunch on Saturday and a simpler meal later would suffice, since some are busy woking on cars and tired from a long day at the car show festivities.

The reason we went away from the big banquet was cost....pure and simple.

I can believe that.

A lot of people come to the shootout on a real shoestring budget so we do our best to keep costs down.

I'm not so sure that's an accurate statement concerning the people. The way to find out is create a poll asking whether or not they would accept a higher registration cost. Personally, I would, if it meant that 50 people wouldn't have their hands in open pizza boxes.

With registration not being open yet, things like this could still be decided upon before the actual fees are set. With the correct planning I'm sure anything could be done and nicely done at that.

OK.....I generally don't take well to being called a liar.

That's not what I meant at all and I'm sorry you took it that way. I"m sure the same could be said for the people who are not on a shoe string budget. That's all I was trying to get across.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the registration cost down, even if it means ditching the nice banquet dinner. This is the same reason we stopped making cash payouts for winners of the various classes.

While there are many people who wouldn't mind paying more, we need to keep cost reasonable for many others, especially some of the younger people who are still students or just now getting involved with club.

David

Back