Exhaust question

ORION

I was thinking......I want to give my SC a deeper exhaust note and ideally, add a little in the performance dept. The one thing is, that I want to have the pipes extend out (not tucked under) so that I can have the stream line look, similar to a fox body 5.0 Mustang.
Pardon the newbie question but, if I were to remove the mufflers and clamp or weld straight high polish pipes on (I figure I'll have to adjust the exhaust slightly) would that help with the desired note and help a little given the lack of resistance that the mufflers imposed.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.

I was thinking......I want to give my SC a deeper exhaust note and ideally, add a little in the performance dept. The one thing is, that I want to have the pipes extend out (not tucked under) so that I can have the stream line look, similar to a fox body 5.0 Mustang.
Pardon the newbie question but, if I were to remove the mufflers and clamp or weld straight high polish pipes on (I figure I'll have to adjust the exhaust slightly) would that help with the desired note and help a little given the lack of resistance that the mufflers imposed.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.
you are asking for a constant headache. ;)

NO, you have to weld them. Why would you want to use clamps? You can get someone to weld them for you for like 20-40 bucks.

OK....I was just asking.....I could weld them myself anyway. I'm just starting to get an idea of what I want. I want something a little more aggressive but temporary if I change my mind.
I've been thinking about removing the resonator and replacing it with a test pipe or similar. I'm just not sure if the sound will be too weak or raspy.

To avoid the horrible drone these motors give, you will need the cats, a good long resonator, and the mufflers out back. I have a full duel 2-1/2" setup with all magna flow and the car is whisper quiet at idle and cruise, but start getting into the gas and its got a nice growl to it. At 2000 rpm though, there is a resonance drone through the whole car... its not bad and you don't need to crank the stereo, but its there.

If you are after that V8 sound, you'll never get it so don't even try.

My motto is with these cars

"Let the blower do the talkin" :) and shut the exhaust up so it don't sound like a ricer wanna be v8.

Fraser

Thanks Fraser.
I guess that's what I needed to hear. I like the sound of a good V8 but I LOVE the SC whine:D
The rice rocket buzz makes my skin crawl, so I don't want anything like that!

I am living with the terrible mistake of not having mufflers in the rear of the car and a single muffler in place of the resonator, no cats.
Take it from me, don't remove your rear mufflers. Just replace your resonator with a nice dual 2 1/4 in single 2 1/2 out. You will be much happier and it will flow better than the stock one.

Drew

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I'll start small with just a resonator as I'm not 100% sure exactly what I want the end result to be, and I can't spend too much right now.
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but could I use something like a Magnaflow 5" x 8" oval muffler with overall length of 24". They have one with the 2.25 dual and 2.5 single, I would just reverse it from it's intended use.
I have not gone under to check but would something like that fit?

Thanks Paul,
It would probably be too tight of a fit then. I could order the flowmaster resonator kit, I guess. One of the local shops can get it in about 3-5 weeks.

exhaust

try the new dynomax vt muffler straight through muffler with no drone,it has a spring loaded gate that opens with rpm,s so just maybe if u go that way u wont need your cats but i dont think anyone in the club had tested them yet? because its a new product.they are 100 bucks each. i hope this helps you

try the new dynomax vt muffler straight through muffler with no drone,it has a spring loaded gate that opens with rpm,s so just maybe if u go that way u wont need your cats but i dont think anyone in the club had tested them yet? because its a new product.they are 100 bucks each. i hope this helps you

I did have a quick look at these.....interesting muffler although I'm not sure if it's really the sound I'm looking for. As well, with the emissions laws up here, I can't remove my cat.

Back