still lurking in the basement/new motor time

Most likely culprit is the fact that the heads had improper torque at first while the guy was " tuning" the car. Later he told Jason he needed to re-torque them since his torque wrench was out of spec. He was actually off by 20 ft lbs of torque I believe. Jason has been getting coolant in the oil and most likely exhaust in the coolant( coolant smelled like gas). Needless to say I wouldn't trust the build at this point...

Most likely culprit is the fact that the heads had improper torque at first while the guy was " tuning" the car. Later he told Jason he needed to re-torque them since his torque wrench was out of spec. He was actually off by 20 ft lbs of torque I believe. Jason has been getting coolant in the oil and most likely exhaust in the coolant( coolant smelled like gas). Needless to say I wouldn't trust the build at this point...

Small claims court and a used shortblock.

Where did you have it "tuned" at?

Does it have MLS gaskets? What kind of shop doesn't have a torque wrench that goes to 90 lb ft of torque? At this point if it where mine I would drain the oil put a magnet in the bottom of it check for metal shavings as well as cut the oil filter open and check it for shavings. If all that looks good pull the heads, have them ready surfaced and torque them 30 60 90 in this order
5 1 3 7
6 2 4 8

It has mls gaskets. He's in the process of pulling the motor. He's going to take it to a shop to have it disassembled and checked out. The shop that did the work was Executive I believe in KC somewhere.

Oh boy, look what we get to scratch up on Saturday. :p

Any guesses on how many times we will put this engine in?

while the engine is out I have a tons of stuff to do. clean engine bay and figure out the brake leak. install new rack and ball joints and fix ground cable.
the engine is getting new rings and bearings and new cam.

So when is Jim coming over to do all of that?

And hopefully this engine lasts you longer than the other one did.

Back