Need Bob Johnson Racing Engines info

SonySC

Anyone have the current info to contact Bob Johnson (BJ1 Engines)
He built my engine a few years ago using copper head gaskets and I need info on them. I'm leaking a small amount of compression into my cooling system emptying my coolant tank when hot.
thanks SonySC 925-984-3785 cell

pretty sure copper on these engines is a bad idea...felpro's mls head gaskets are best...good luck

felpro 9262pt and 9263pt for left and right sides in case you need them

Response to Dan

Didnt the engine blow the head gaskets before the rebuild ???
- Dan

Yes with stock engine I blew the right gasket, then did headwork but later spun rod bearing - causing 1 yr layoff . Bought another crank and had Bob Johnson (Silver Bullet's engine builder) build and blueprint it. He said he O ringed the heads and used copper gaskets. That was three years ago. I still have good compression but apparently have a very minor compression leak into the water jacket. Thinking of trying to retorque the heads. I really don't want to have to pull it apart again.
George

I would do a compression and a leakdown test - at that rate, it already looks like you will need to pull the heads anyways. I would have them checked for cracks / pressure tested at a machine shop.

As for the copper / o rings .. sounds more like a racing application than an everyday driver build. I wouldnt know how to get ahold of Bob Johnson, but if he did some O ring groove machine work to your engine, it will not be suitable for a "stock" type of rebuild with MLS gaskets - you will need to use new copper gaskets and O rings if you re-build it again .. or find a new engine.

The head gasket stop leak fix stuff is a BAD idea also - you end up coating your block passages, radiator, heater core, and everything else in the extensive cooling system.

- Dan

Back