Thread: Help please transmission or universal joints in driveshaft

Help please transmission or universal joints in driveshaft

Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid. I wasn't driving the car at the time. the car goes into gear but does not go anywhere in any gear. when you put it back in park it makes kinda of grinding sound. the car rolls even in park. Starts fine and shifts int gear with no problem or sounds. Is it the drive shaft universal joints? The car was making a clunking sound when put into gear before. no vibration or other noise after. any help would be appreciated thanks car is a 1990 auto

also what size rear end is in this year?
    Last edited by madmaxx689; 10-06-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx689 View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid. I wasn't driving the car at the time. the car goes into gear but does not go anywhere in any gear. when you put it back in park it makes kinda of grinding sound. the car rolls even in park. Starts fine and shifts int gear with no problem or sounds. Is it the drive shaft universal joints? The car was making a clunking sound when put into gear before. no vibration or other noise after. any help would be appreciated thanks car is a 1990 auto

So the car rolls in park.... Does not move in any gear.... ratchets down to locked when you put it in.... Uhh... Did you break a halfshaft?

Just get under the car and inspect it. If the car moves in park, either the driveshaft or an axle shaft is busted, or the parking pawl in the transmission is broken. The noises you are hearing, only way to know is to get under the car and listen to figure out where they are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx689 View Post

Me think broken halfshaft but you have to get under the car and see
    92 (Red Car) SC Auto Heads Reworked 10% od pully Headers Cat Back 2-1-2 Kooks Headers Front Mount Intercooler Raised Top MPII Blower MP Intake 85MM TB 50 LB Injectors 255LPH Pump w Regulator 76 MM C&L MAS NOS stage I 60HP Quarterhorse BHJ ballancer LM-1 wideband
    93 (White Car) Broken Crankshaft so none of the other stuff matters. (Some day to be Badass 4.3 ltr with a 2.3 Whipple)