Water pump?

T1Bird

Well, i thought i was losing anti-freeze because of my coolant tank so i took her out and filled it with water and sure enough i found a leak, so i grabbed one off ryan's parts car and tested it no leaks.. so i cleaned it up.. put a whole new return line on to
filled her up
came out next day and started her up saw low coolant light
wierd
looked and she was empty
filled her up..
figured i got some bubbles in the system and the rad was low to begin with i should have filled it first but didnt so i figured a couple days and she will even out..
well i came out to the car today after driving her for a hour and only to see a puddle of anti-freeze under my car

so im thinking ok ill jack her up and check the bottom of the rad and the lines and maybe it could be a frost plug?
but then someone said that the 3.8s are just as bad with waterpumps as the Headgaskets
this true?

if it is my waterpump how much do these costs for our birds?

Bruce,

I think I paid about $90 for the pump I put on my SC motor back in February or March when I replaced my HG's. That was for a brand new pump from Ford. That's going back a long time (and many other purchases), so you may be best to get Ed's input here.

Cheers,

Sean

alrighty ill wait for Ed's input
if this is anything major im pretty much going to scrap the car.. engine has 376,543 kms on it headgaskets done at 147,000 kms by ford then again at 364,000 kms by myself
think this engine has overheated maybe to much
and im on the market for my sc right now so this is just a get around car till i get my sc
hell i may even drive it this winter (its never seen a winter) depending on this waterpump problem

I'll have to check a price on the pump for a 3.8 NA ... haven't sold one of those for a Bird in a while. The SC pump is still around $90 brand new from Ford, not a bad deal. When I'm back to work tomorrow I'll look for the price on this.

cheers
Ed N.

well i cant seem to find the leak where im leaking anti freeze
im getting pretty annoyed with this thing
where else could it leak from guys?

such a shame my car is in pretty nice condition body wise

010.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

thanks ed, tomorrow after i get off work im gonna rip out the fan shroud and the fan and see if i can find this damn leak

Check Canadian Tire for a water pump!
I usually buy all Motorcraft stuff, but the water pump died on my 93 Ranger last November on a Saturday night. The only thing open Sunday was CTC....so I asked parts guy for one, it was 70.00 and was a reman from Fenco, which is a good name. I asked the guy what the warranty was....he punched it into his computer and responded with "Lifetime warranty"

Can't beat that huh?

I think if my S/C ever needs another water pump, I will go to CTC for one.

My S/C has only ever had one pump replacement, so I wouldn't say they are worse than any other make or brand. I have put a water pump on just about every Ford I have ever owned. The start to piddle coolant out of the hole by the seal.

Back