Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Option #4 - Similar to Option #2 but with Indoor Seating Area

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Option #5 - More formal banquet with hall & caterer

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
This years Shootout is just behind us but it's time to start planning for next year already. I would like some input on what people would like to see for food and/or banquet next year. Be aware that basically anything beyond what we did this year will be a bit more money but if it's worth it you guys then we can try to plan accordingly.

Option #1: Keep things the same as this year. Outdoor cookout with Burgers and Stuff.

Option #2: Similar to last year. Outdoor cookout with upgraded food - Steaks and Shrimp or something - Approximate added cost $5 per person.

Option #3: Similar to Option #1 but with renting a facility so we could sit indoors. (There was a small hall attached to the Dyno shop that we could look into renting next year) - Approximate added cost $5 per person.

Option #4: Similar to Option #2 but with renting the hall. Approximate added cost $10 per person.

Option #5: I would really prefer a more formal banquet with a hall and a caterer providing a buffet style meal - Approximate added cost $25 per person.

Also keep in mind that there will likely be a cost increase next year in order to cover the steadily rising track expenses so any additional food expenditures would be in addition to that. I would also still do the big pot of chili in the evening at the hotel since everybody seemed to like that.

I voted 3 because I know my kids won't eat "upgraded" food :) But really, options 3, 4, or 5 would work for me. I think indoor seating is a key.

I think some place for people to gather would be nice. A rented hall, conference room or whatever that provides a nice atmosphere for people to gather and talk. I’m not so sure people are concerned about the food or how fancy it needs to be but just a place to mingle. A lot of people come for the racing, car show or both but they also come for the experience of what’s all offered at the Shootout.

With that said, I think anything you have offered the past 2 years at the Shootout would be great.

Basically, what Kurt said.

I would like to see indoor seating. Gives a person an oppertunity to sit with groups of people for conversation. Do to medical reasons standing around is difficult. I would love to see Barbecued ribs or something like that. This is a once a year blow out, one of the best events we plan as a club. I wouldnt have any problem ponying up 10 15 or 20 bucks for ribs or upgraded food. If the vote is for basic food than Im good with with that to:D Im easy to please.

One could have hamburgers and dogs as well for kids and maybe casey

Ken

Last edited:
I thought this years food was excellent and very filling. Like others have said I would have liked a place to sit down and converse with others..................;)

I am in for Option #3. Indoor seating is good for conversation and just in case mother nature won't cooperate. The hall next to the dyno would be great option. I would also be good with option #5.

Last edited:
I voted for Option 5 because I would really like to see us (all of us!) be able to sit down and enjoy the company and a good meal Sat night. I think it's a great opportunity for a meet and great and I think that it also forces us to be a bit more organized, stick a little closer to a time table and have the kind of fun that comes from an awards dinner. It's our annual show and tell get together and we're getting a little too large to be hanging out in parking lots all night long :rolleyes:

I could live with Option 3 as well if that is what everyone wanted but I would like to see that be more of a lunch thing. Indoor seating is just a must either way. I'm too old to be sitting on the curb trying to not wear my food :p

Ira

I can probably get ahold of the people who run that moose lodge next to precision autosports, from there we could probably arrange lunchmeat trays,whatever depending on what people want and we could even take a poll on what foods to have. I bet it would be much cheaper than the hotel conference center and considerably more relaxed. Those that wanted to drink could as well.
Alan

I can probably get ahold of the people who run that moose lodge next to precision autosports, from there we could probably arrange lunchmeat trays,whatever depending on what people want and we could even take a poll on what foods to have. I bet it would be much cheaper than the hotel conference center and considerably more relaxed. Those that wanted to drink could as well.
Alan

Alan...I sent you a PM

Too close to cincinnati, the weather can change at any given moment. I haven't had any luck getting ahold of anyone who knows people at that lodge, unfortunately it was My sisters who were involved and one of them passed about 6 months before this was originally posted and the other a few months afterward. I have been there on several occasions so I will try to give them a call and see what I can work out. My brother might have some good info, but I am sure they would be more than happy to help us. It has to be better than having that big building empty. Do we have a time to do the banquet finalized?
Alan

Thanks for your help Alan, I've got Jeff from Precision trying to get ahold of them as well will similar results.

I would think if we could have the space from 10am until maybe 4pm that would cover us pretty well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Althought I think the Oatways cooking is great and food it A+ I find it unfair that the Oatways cannot enjoy a relaxing afternoon. With the pressure of making food. I think a catering co would be a good idea and a place to sit will be also a good idea. How about one of those wedding places that has tables and chairs, one could set them up at a parking lot or park. Maybe even at that dyno spot.

Thanks Ricardo....Saturday is defiantely a bit of a grind for us.

We took this on a couple of years ago because track costs were increasing and we were looking for a way to still have a nice gathering but reduce costs. We are able to do the BBQ for WAY less money than the banquet or a catered event. The down side is we've gotten away from the nice sit down social event that the banquet used to be.

If people were willing to spend the extra bucks I would gladly pass the burdon on this but I think it would we in the $20+ per person range more money by the time we rented tent/chairs and got things catered.

In the end it makes for a hectic weekend and definately not very relaxing but we don't mind doing it if it helps more people be able to attend the event.

The food situation has evolved, we've tried just about everything. And we are open to new ideas.

From the beginning we have provided lunch at low per person cost. This means no catered lunch. We can have a BBQ service come out and provide for us but that means about $12-15/person for lunch. We had been providing our own lunch for about $6 per person by buying sandwiches and serving them ourselves. This may seem like an easy way to save money, but it still means that someone is responsible for arranging the food, setting up, dishing it out, and then cleaning up. Even though we didn't prepare the food, we were responsible and whoever takes care of that misses out on having much fun or participating in the car show Saturday. It also meant we had to budget carefully to make sure we had enough which can be difficult when people don't like to register before hand.

When Brian and family started doing lunch it meant our per-person cost went down or, the fare we could offer for a given price improved dramatically. Due to the way that food is purchased bulk in that case, it is also easier to have more than enough (and better quality food) without spending more money. It seemed like a win-win. Granted Brian and Jen now had more responsibility, but it also seems to me like more people found it easier to volunteer help when everything was being done right in front of them. When we tried to bring in pre-made sandwiches, we got a lot more complaints and a lot less assistance.

But with Brian and family cooking, it also seemed a waste not to make the most of the situation. Brian can cook steaks as easily as he can cook burgers and hotdogs (more or less). Suddenly it seemed like it would be to our advantage as a group to have them cook a meal rather than just burgers. But this was a 2 edged sword. If we spend more on a decent lunch meal then any banquet budget is compromised which leads me to the whole banquet issue.

Renting a hall is a significant cost, and you can't cater a banquet in the parking lot of the hotel. Then there is the cost of the banquet itself which has typically been closer to $30/person than $25. Cost being one thing, then you always have the group of people who don't want to spend $30/person on a banquet so they want to participate but don't want to attend the banquet. As people opt out of the banquet then the cost per person goes up which makes budgeting a nightmare. But then the people who opted out always manage to end up in the banquet room and we get charged for them in the end anyway. Policing this is never fun.

I'm not really asking for suggestions or implying that we don't know what to do, I'm just letting people know some of the reasons why have done it the way we have in the past. Nothing has worked out perfectly, but with Brian and family doing the food we seem to have an improved sense of community. I feel that it provides a bonding experience for the people who attend and participate. I certainly have a high level of appreciation for the work they do and I think others share this sentiment.

That being said, if we can't secure a facility then we may be forced to go back to a catered banquet and the resulting increase in registration fees.

I have been listening to this same discussion each year for more than just a couple now and I must admit that I am tired of hearing it. I am not making this post to open up a discussion because it's been said before. And part of the problem is that people just refuse to commit far enough in advance to make this any easier on the committee. As far as I'm concerned the event should be locked up by January and money being collected enough in advance to know exactly what is going on. If you don't pay by March the price goes up; April it get bumped again. i realize that some of the problems are well outside our control and this is another subject that although some of you have heard this from me before it is one for another day perhaps.

So back to subject at hand. I'm sorry, I understand the poor starving college kid part of this whole thing but come on guys. Maybe no one else wants to incur the wrath of the membership, or maybe I am truly the only person who feels this way, but either way let's call the truth the truth.

The Shoot Out is an annual event. There probably isn't anyone on this site who doesn't know about unless they just joined. Yet each year we worry about someone raising an extra $20 or $30 or $50 bucks as part of the fees to come and take part. That's a buck a week. I'm sorry but if you can't afford one buck a week so you can come and sit down and enjoy a relaxing dinner with friends and take part in what should be a very fun evening that is very unfortunate, but it should not get in the way of the event planning.

We as an organization should not be putting more and more responsibility on selected members in order to throw this party. It's once a year guys.
It's our annual get-together. For a bunch of people who spend who knows how much money on our cars and then take them to car shows and to the track to not care enough to take the burden off others is just damn selfish.
I'm not even talking about parts either. People will spend more money on car wax for the Shoot Out then for the comforts of doing anything more than being able to throw a party in a parking lot each night.

That's crap. We're better then that. Do your parking lot burnouts and drinking at some local get-together. I want to be able to sit down at a table somewhere, have a decent meal, and watch my friends receive awards and catch good-natured ribbing for what they've accomplished during the year.

So if you can't afford to put one buck extra away each week that is very unfortunate, but its' time we dragged this group out of the parking lot and into a place where you and I and the ladies don't have to cook, clean, eat and have an awards dinner over hot dogs in the bleachers somewhere.

Let the beatings begin.

Ira

Ira +1.

The important part is lock down the cost estimates early let people know, and find a way to collect registrations sooner rather than later. Also, make registration a single cost. No optional stuff you can drop out of and cut your bill. You pay to enroll in the event and everything it has to offer. If you don't take part in some, you don't get your money back. The only one I'd keep separate is the dyno since that is a limited resource and as such not everyone that might want to will be able to.

to that end there needs to be some commitment from folks to at least pay up for a registration, and preferably show up and run. (yes, pot calling the kettle black)

I agree with Ira about having a more "formal" awards dinner, and I think the extra cost is easily justifiable. Perhaps the committee can find a BBQ shop or similar restaurant that offers a party room with buffet style dinner for rent? Many of those are rented at a fixed cost per person including fountain drinks, and unless Memphis is a rare exception, $20-25/person seems to be pretty common for good food in a decent space.

Now this is just something I've wondered about in the past, but never really bothered to ask about it... why do we race Sunday instead of Saturday? Seems like having the car show and awards banquet on Sunday would be a lot more relaxing for everyone involved. Not complaining, it just feels like it would flow better and be easier on the people running the show.

I've got a stack $450 dollar bills saved up so far. I disagree with saying if you dont like paying an extra $50 for the weekend. It's also not a sailing club. When I came out we grabbed a bite between road tuning caseys car all night. I don't think making it a white tie affair is going to make the weekend more exciting.
Also, as far as the races being on saturday, I dont think it would work out well. That would mean that peoples cars need to be ready for a beating right off the trailer. Alot of cars rely on the tuning befor the races. It would make it easier to split and get a head start home sunday morning tho..

When I came I had a great time even tho most of the trip was spent trying to get caseys car ready. But whatever the decision is It will be a good time. I'll be there this year as long as I get a package in the mail sooner then later ;)

Last edited:
Back