Aluminum Driveshaft

Man that's expensive. Hopefully someone has a used one on here...nothing is wrong with the stock one I just don't know how it will hold up with some upgrades.

Man that's expensive. Hopefully someone has a used one on here...nothing is wrong with the stock one I just don't know how it will hold up with some upgrades.

The stockers are tuff puppies, I'd bet .05 cents you'll be ok.

What some other people have done is get the one-piece aluminum driveshaft from the 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII and have it shortened.
I was able to get one from the local Pick-N-Pull and do this. The total for the driveshaft, shortening & rebalancing came to around $170.

A few people have installed a 93 MarkVIII driveshaft in the AOD cars without shortening it or anything.

Jeff Bratton is one I know of for sure. He has not had any problems that I know of.

If it's just that you're worried about tearing the old one up....don't worry!!

A few people have installed a 93 MarkVIII driveshaft in the AOD cars without shortening it or anything.

Jeff Bratton is one I know of for sure. He has not had any problems that I know of.

If it's just that you're worried about tearing the old one up....don't worry!!

OK, to clarify, I had to shorten mine to put it in my 5-speed.

Common Driveshaft Lengths:
94-97 3.8L 4R70W 57" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
89-95 3.8L M5R2 53.80" driveshaft (M5R2 overall length 35")
89-93 3.8L AOD 57.80" driveshaft (AOD overall length 31")
94-97 4.6L 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
93-98 Mark VIII 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
94-04 Crown Vic 4R70W 55.50" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")

Last edited:
Been using the Mark 8 shaft for 3 years now with no problems. I also had it shortened and balanced when I replaced the transmission this year just to make sure everything was like it was supposed to be, ran the Mark shaft for 2 years unshortened.

Back