what to look for in a supercoupe ?

gbal4

Hey guys I may be getting a 95 Supercoupe and would like to know what do I look for before I purchase the car. I test drove it the other night and I was suprised how strong the motor was it has a automatic and has 106 ,000 miles the seller is asking 2000 italked him down to 1700 his lowest price the brakes goes down to the floor they have to be pumped to stop the car. I told him sounds like the master cylinder could be bad thanks for any input

Open the doors, grab the outer bottom corner of the door, vigorously lift up and down....

You are checking for wear on upper door hinge....

Put both hands on the top edge of either front fender and push the car laterally back and forth....

You don't have to do it hard, just get the front of the car to move back and forth....

You are checking the front suspension (i.e. upper control arms, inner tie rods, etc.) for wear....

Check every switch for proper operation....

Oh, one last thing, check that all the keys work in their respective lock cylinders....:rolleyes:

Check the hood lining to see if there is an oil stain directly over the blower, if so that is probably because the blower snout seal is bad (probably so on a 100k mile blower). When I looked at my 1994 sc before i bought it it had intermitent signals blinking sometimes but not all the time, replaced it with a new hazard/flasher box and it was fine. 100k miles probably needs new motor mounts like mine did when I bought it.

If you're curious about the glass, all of the facotry windows and the rear window should have the VIN # written in the lower corners of the windows, if they match the vehicle VIN# then you shouldn't have to lose too much sleep over broken glass being hidden in the car somewhere from a window being blown out.

Trying to think of what else... Anything else you are concerned about with the car? Tell us what you're looking for.

If you do buy it and you need parts for restoration or repair, be sure to check the classifieds here for your parts first. If you do need brake parts I have most of them for a 94/95. Between the-big-E, myself, and a couple of others here we could probably build a couple of SC's with all the parts we have. The brakes may just need pads and to add brake fluid and bleed the system. Check for rattles, clunks, and loose ball joints in the front end indicating suspension being in need of a rebuild. Check the color of the coolant, nice and green with no brownish discoloration, and if it has any debris in it. At 106,000 the car should be in pretty good shape. How does the tranny shift? Any vibrations while driving?

Most likely, thats not your master cyllinder, but the ABS relief system. It has a technological brake booster for its time. The ABS realy may be bad, the ABS accumulator could be bad, the wheel sensors could be bad, but you better hope you do not need the ABS system. That , new will double the price of this car.

...BUT you can delete the ABS and run without if need be.

Also, if you think the car is an okay deal, look at the members here for help, provided you purchase that one. If you are dead set on gettting one, look through the classifieds here to see who has one for sale who is a member. More than likely, they have taken better care of the car and fixed more of the mechanical issues that can plague these cars. For the price, it looks good, but I think drfishbone (a member here) has a 91 for sale for 2k. Needs some body work, but has a lower milage tranny in it, and the interrior is super clean. Here is a link....I am by NO MEANS TRYING TO SELL THIS CAR OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. IT IS A CLEAN CAR THAT DEPICTS WHAT I AM TRYING TO CONVEY IN MY POST...AND NO..I DO NOT KNOW HIM.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113804

Also, you may want to fill out your information that shows your location so if someone can help you they will know if they are close.

SWS

Last edited:
Check the rockers and the underbody for rust also. A good looking body is not always good looking underneath.

havent checked when i got mine you have to check very cerefully put your hand under the rear rocker you cant really see it with the car on the floor pay to put it on a lift in a garage that worth it!!!

The suspesion is probably the biggest thing to look over. I rebuild about 5 of these suspensions a year and the cost usually exceeds the value of the car to many people.
If it is auto check the transmission fluid to make sure it is red and doesn't smell burnt.
Brakes aren't a big deal I find most people upgrade them as they need replaced anyway.
The ABS unit on the other hand is a good deal, but the most important thing is to check for water in the oil. If you fear having to put a motor in it go buy a block test kit to check for compression gases in the radiator, takes 2 minutes and will tell you positively if it needs head gaskets.
Also check for pinion and or axles seals on the rear of the car, if ignored this could cost you a rebuild on the differential.
Rocker panel rust hides under the ground effects, look closely and you can see up in there to see how it looks.
Alan

Back