Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    If you feel the need to cross the straps to make an "X" suggest doing that on the front. I destroyed a set of straps on the way to the OKC meet in 2005 when crossing the rear straps. Since that happened I don't cross mine anymore.

David
    How did that happen? I am just curious.

Ken

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, water intercooled..yet to see

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    How did that happen? I am just curious.

Ken
    From them rubbing Ken. I did the same thing a few years ago towing a car from Delaware to here. The nylon straps dont like to rub or move on anything. They will get hot and snap or shred. I prefer chains myself...no worries then...especially when you are in the middle of nowhere!

Quote Originally Posted by frdlvr30 View Post
    From them rubbing Ken. I did the same thing a few years ago towing a car from Delaware to here. The nylon straps dont like to rub or move on anything. They will get hot and snap or shred. I prefer chains myself...no worries then...especially when you are in the middle of nowhere!
    I can see that happening but than would not the same problem be if you cross them in the front as David suggested? I never did cross straps when hauling my car on a borrowed trailer. I put the hold downs on my new trailer where I thought they would do the best at holding the car in place without crossing

Ken

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, water intercooled..yet to see

Ive towed a few cars and always use chains. Ive gone on a few trips with Gary Bitzer, and he uses 4 of the wheel nets and thats it.

Corey
    Makin some power!

I can see that happening but than would not the same problem be if you cross them in the front as David suggested? I never did cross straps when hauling my car on a borrowed trailer. I put the hold downs on my new trailer where I thought they would do the best at holding the car in place without crossing

Ken
    When crossing the straps in the front, David and I use the holes next to the frame rails and behind the front wheels. From there, the only thing the straps can rub on is each other. On the rears, I think David's straps rubbed on the rear sub-frame, but I don't remember exactly. I do remember helping him find replacement straps at a truck-stop on our way to OKC.

For the rear, I just loop through the lower control arms. Luckily, I have a bit more room to strap since the back of my car hangs over the dove tail section of the trailer.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Ken
    My point was cross strapping the rear Ken, due to it sitting on Wood. But im sure Keith will figure it out...

Dave,
    The way I'm going to strap my car down is the same way I strap down heavy equipment at work. I think if I can can haul tractors, backhoes, graders and other large pieces of equipment with no problems I can handle strapping down a car.......
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - $$$$ Pit
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19