How to: 4r70w swap

What transmission harness can you use, I found 97 Tbird 4.6 trans harness on ebay or does the PCS system come with a complete harness?

Alan,

What would it take for an ~'03 4R70W to be beefed up to handle 450rwhp and 450rwtq behind an AR car? I found quite a few trans local from $175 for a 155k 2002, $350 for a 45k 2003, and up to $600, all are 01-03 V6 Mustangs.

What transmission harness can you use, I found 97 Tbird 4.6 trans harness on ebay or does the PCS system come with a complete harness?

You can buy a pre-made harness from PCS, and it makes it easy.. Or you can get a stock ford harness and modify it.

97 and prior trans needs a 97 and prior harness.. 98+ trans needs a 98+ harness. I think I have a spare unmolested 98+ mustang trans harness in my storage.. If you want it - send me a message and just pay shipping and its yours.

At 450whp/450wtq a stock late model 4R70w with just valve body modifications/accumulator mods (j-mod) would probably hold up fine.. But there are certain long term reliability issues, and many improvements that can be addressed in an overhaul. Don't overlook a good converter either.. I used an updated 2004 factory mach 1/marauder converter and it made a great street converter. A little tight for the track, but plenty to boil the tires on the street. I'll leave the converter recommendations to Alan, as he's the expert, and who I will go to for my future converter needs.

Jeramie

Ryan,

If you are seriously pursuing this swap as well I think we should attempt a group buy on the PCS controllers. I suspect that 4R70W swaps are going to be the 'new hot ~~~~' as people attempt to maximize the power they are producing.

Not contemplating the swap at the moment, but more of a long term project. I may start to purchase items little be little, since my current AOD is holding up.

Jeramie thanks for the reply I may take you up on that harness. Also can the AOD shifter be used or does a 4r70 equipped car shifter need to go in along with the matching cable? I planned on having Alan go thru it if I did the swap and spec the converter.

You can use the AOD shifter and cable, but any 94-97 t-bird and 93-95 mark VIII shifter will also work - and fit below the AOD consol just fine. 96-98 mark use a different style shifter that won't work.

The advantage of having the 4R70W shifter is that is has a built in "O/D off" button, and the proper PRND21 read-outs. You can program the PCS to use a toggle or momentary switch (like the factory O/D off switch).

After that video was taken, I had a guy on TCCoA (forget his name) make me custom gauge displays to replace the factory indicator lights (check engine, door ajar, etc) I had him add "O/D off", and "PERF. SHIFT", and "MANUAL MODE" in some blank areas that weren't used, then I powered them directly from the +12v programmable outputs on the PCS using led's. Looked like a factory fit and finish.

You'll also need a 94-97 T-bird/Cougar shift lever if you are using a mustang trans. 93-95 mark VIII works too, but the 96-97 mark viii's I saw looked like they used a mustang shift lever. Alan will know what you need in that regard.

You'll also need a 94-97 3.8L bird/cougar trans crossmember. The AOD one, or a 4.6L one won't work, you'll also need a 3.8L 94-97 cougar/bird driveshaft.. The v8 cars won't work, and the AOD/M5R2 driveshafts won't work either.

Jeramie

Last edited:
Looks like a need to download the pdf manual and the software to see what it would be like. Hope Alan will chime in about internals and converters.

After that video was taken, I had a guy on TCCoA (forget his name) make me custom gauge displays to replace the factory indicator lights (check engine, door ajar, etc) I had him add "O/D off", and "PERF. SHIFT", and "MANUAL MODE" in some blank areas that weren't used, then I powered them directly from the +12v programmable outputs on the PCS using led's. Looked like a factory fit and finish.

Sounds cool. Could that have been Scott Hrbacek?

Happy to help, I learned this all the hard way when doing it myself, through many trips to the junkyard..

Originally I had bought a 4.6l bird crossmember and driveshaft, didn't work, had to use the 3.8L stuff.

As for the simple shift, one thing I don't see is the ability to FULLY control converter lockup.. I think the limited programming just allows for adjustments. The $750 programmable version allows for more converter lockup adjustment parameters than you could dream of, including a "dyno mode" for locking the converter on the dyno.. David - this would improve your rwhp and rwtq numbers right here!

But I wouldn't recommend a stockish replacment converter try locking up at WOT.. I did it once with my stock 04 maurader/mach 1 converter and it seemed to handle it ok in 2nd gear (you can datalog the trans and see slippage %) and it did not slip once engaged, but did have a slow engagement.. Hence why I only tried it once. Alan can chime in more on this - he can build purpose built converters for locking at WOT.

Jeramie

One further point.. The factory 89-93 shift interlock won't work with the 94+ shifter.. I didn't care because I was converting a 5 speed car anyway that didn't have it..

But, I sold the entire setup to my friend with a '93 SC auto, and ran into this issue.. The solution was to use the 89-93 shifter basket mechanism with the 94+ shifter and activation rod.. So in a sense, to have a "hybrid" shift unit. This allows the factory shift interlock to work (can't shift without key, can't shift out of park without brakes). Nobody would ever know the whole setup wasn't factory!

Jeramie

Happy to help, I learned this all the hard way when doing it myself, through many trips to the junkyard..

Originally I had bought a 4.6l bird crossmember and driveshaft, didn't work, had to use the 3.8L stuff.

As for the simple shift, one thing I don't see is the ability to FULLY control converter lockup.. I think the limited programming just allows for adjustments. The $750 programmable version allows for more converter lockup adjustment parameters than you could dream of, including a "dyno mode" for locking the converter on the dyno.. David - this would improve your rwhp and rwtq numbers right here!

But I wouldn't recommend a stockish replacment converter try locking up at WOT.. I did it once with my stock 04 maurader/mach 1 converter and it seemed to handle it ok in 2nd gear (you can datalog the trans and see slippage %) and it did not slip once engaged, but did have a slow engagement.. Hence why I only tried it once. Alan can chime in more on this - he can build purpose built converters for locking at WOT.

Jeramie

I would probably be switching to 4.10 gears and an Auburn Pro diff at the same time. With that stuff and higher stall lockable converter with the computer doing the shifting and controlling converter locking/unlocking...I could probably run 2 or 3 tenths quicker on the track and have a more street freindly set up than I've got now.

David

Bryce, you don't need the sleeve with that shaft, there are no holes drilled for a governer (an AOD piece only). That is only needed on '93 mark VIII shafts and very early 1994 Thunderbird shafts.

Slap it in :)

Also, check out www.clickclickracing.com, it is a forum for ford RWD transmissions, and is where I learned most of my stuff.

Jeramie

Bryce, you don't need the sleeve with that shaft, there are no holes drilled for a governer (an AOD piece only). That is only needed on '93 mark VIII shafts and very early 1994 Thunderbird shafts.

Slap it in :)

Also, check out www.clickclickracing.com, it is a forum for ford RWD transmissions, and is where I learned most of my stuff.

Jeramie

ok, thanks

Last edited:
Also, make sure to re-use the return spring from the '94 overdrive servo on the '04 servo.. It will get rid of the slippery part throttle shift when cold. I still haven't been able to completely tune that out of steve's car.. So doing this will save you the headache..

Also, make sure to re-use the return spring from the '94 overdrive servo on the '04 servo.. It will get rid of the slippery part throttle shift when cold. I still haven't been able to completely tune that out of steve's car.. So doing this will save you the headache..

What color was that one?

I don't remember.. Find the one that came out of the '04 trans, and match it up with the box of spare trans parts you got with the car. It should look the same but might be a different color.

Back