Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: How to: 4r70w swap

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    You can use the AOD shifter and cable, but any 94-97 t-bird and 93-95 mark VIII shifter will also work - and fit below the AOD consol just fine. 96-98 mark use a different style shifter that won't work.

    The advantage of having the 4R70W shifter is that is has a built in "O/D off" button, and the proper PRND21 read-outs. You can program the PCS to use a toggle or momentary switch (like the factory O/D off switch).

    After that video was taken, I had a guy on TCCoA (forget his name) make me custom gauge displays to replace the factory indicator lights (check engine, door ajar, etc) I had him add "O/D off", and "PERF. SHIFT", and "MANUAL MODE" in some blank areas that weren't used, then I powered them directly from the +12v programmable outputs on the PCS using led's. Looked like a factory fit and finish.

    You'll also need a 94-97 T-bird/Cougar shift lever if you are using a mustang trans. 93-95 mark VIII works too, but the 96-97 mark viii's I saw looked like they used a mustang shift lever. Alan will know what you need in that regard.

    You'll also need a 94-97 3.8L bird/cougar trans crossmember. The AOD one, or a 4.6L one won't work, you'll also need a 3.8L 94-97 cougar/bird driveshaft.. The v8 cars won't work, and the AOD/M5R2 driveshafts won't work either.

    Jeramie
    Last edited by 92bird; 02-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,635
    This thread is made of solid win. Thanks Jeramie.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,061
    Yes great info...BTW, this is the next major mod I'll be doing on my 91 SC.

    David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Posts
    5,210
    Looks like a need to download the pdf manual and the software to see what it would be like. Hope Alan will chime in about internals and converters.
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph

    My Garage

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern (nee Western) PA
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bird View Post
    After that video was taken, I had a guy on TCCoA (forget his name) make me custom gauge displays to replace the factory indicator lights (check engine, door ajar, etc) I had him add "O/D off", and "PERF. SHIFT", and "MANUAL MODE" in some blank areas that weren't used, then I powered them directly from the +12v programmable outputs on the PCS using led's. Looked like a factory fit and finish.
    Sounds cool. Could that have been Scott Hrbacek?
    God bless!!!

    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~180,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    Happy to help, I learned this all the hard way when doing it myself, through many trips to the junkyard..

    Originally I had bought a 4.6l bird crossmember and driveshaft, didn't work, had to use the 3.8L stuff.

    As for the simple shift, one thing I don't see is the ability to FULLY control converter lockup.. I think the limited programming just allows for adjustments. The $750 programmable version allows for more converter lockup adjustment parameters than you could dream of, including a "dyno mode" for locking the converter on the dyno.. David - this would improve your rwhp and rwtq numbers right here!

    But I wouldn't recommend a stockish replacment converter try locking up at WOT.. I did it once with my stock 04 maurader/mach 1 converter and it seemed to handle it ok in 2nd gear (you can datalog the trans and see slippage %) and it did not slip once engaged, but did have a slow engagement.. Hence why I only tried it once. Alan can chime in more on this - he can build purpose built converters for locking at WOT.

    Jeramie

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    Sounds cool. Could that have been Scott Hrbacek?
    Yep that was him - did a great job.

    Jeramie

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    One further point.. The factory 89-93 shift interlock won't work with the 94+ shifter.. I didn't care because I was converting a 5 speed car anyway that didn't have it..

    But, I sold the entire setup to my friend with a '93 SC auto, and ran into this issue.. The solution was to use the 89-93 shifter basket mechanism with the 94+ shifter and activation rod.. So in a sense, to have a "hybrid" shift unit. This allows the factory shift interlock to work (can't shift without key, can't shift out of park without brakes). Nobody would ever know the whole setup wasn't factory!

    Jeramie

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,061
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bird View Post
    Happy to help, I learned this all the hard way when doing it myself, through many trips to the junkyard..

    Originally I had bought a 4.6l bird crossmember and driveshaft, didn't work, had to use the 3.8L stuff.

    As for the simple shift, one thing I don't see is the ability to FULLY control converter lockup.. I think the limited programming just allows for adjustments. The $750 programmable version allows for more converter lockup adjustment parameters than you could dream of, including a "dyno mode" for locking the converter on the dyno.. David - this would improve your rwhp and rwtq numbers right here!

    But I wouldn't recommend a stockish replacment converter try locking up at WOT.. I did it once with my stock 04 maurader/mach 1 converter and it seemed to handle it ok in 2nd gear (you can datalog the trans and see slippage %) and it did not slip once engaged, but did have a slow engagement.. Hence why I only tried it once. Alan can chime in more on this - he can build purpose built converters for locking at WOT.

    Jeramie

    I would probably be switching to 4.10 gears and an Auburn Pro diff at the same time. With that stuff and higher stall lockable converter with the computer doing the shifting and controlling converter locking/unlocking...I could probably run 2 or 3 tenths quicker on the track and have a more street freindly set up than I've got now.

    David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Metro Denver Area
    Posts
    2,480
    ............................
    Last edited by 90coug; 06-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    Bryce, you don't need the sleeve with that shaft, there are no holes drilled for a governer (an AOD piece only). That is only needed on '93 mark VIII shafts and very early 1994 Thunderbird shafts.

    Slap it in

    Also, check out www.clickclickracing.com, it is a forum for ford RWD transmissions, and is where I learned most of my stuff.

    Jeramie

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Metro Denver Area
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bird View Post
    Bryce, you don't need the sleeve with that shaft, there are no holes drilled for a governer (an AOD piece only). That is only needed on '93 mark VIII shafts and very early 1994 Thunderbird shafts.

    Slap it in

    Also, check out www.clickclickracing.com, it is a forum for ford RWD transmissions, and is where I learned most of my stuff.

    Jeramie
    ok, thanks
    Last edited by 90coug; 06-10-2012 at 05:08 AM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    Also, make sure to re-use the return spring from the '94 overdrive servo on the '04 servo.. It will get rid of the slippery part throttle shift when cold. I still haven't been able to completely tune that out of steve's car.. So doing this will save you the headache..

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Metro Denver Area
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bird View Post
    Also, make sure to re-use the return spring from the '94 overdrive servo on the '04 servo.. It will get rid of the slippery part throttle shift when cold. I still haven't been able to completely tune that out of steve's car.. So doing this will save you the headache..
    What color was that one?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    1,190
    I don't remember.. Find the one that came out of the '04 trans, and match it up with the box of spare trans parts you got with the car. It should look the same but might be a different color.

Similar Threads

  1. 1997 thunderbird 4.6 to 5.4 swap.
    By DSM in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
  3. Question on 2003 mustang 4R70W swap into 94 sc
    By 92bird in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
  4. 4R70W Mustang swap?
    By Blown 91 Bird in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •