Not an SC... 2002 Escape question

Evan_90SC

I'll be replacing the alternator in my mom's 2002 Escape 3.0L within the next few days and I'm looking to see if anyone has done one of these and has any tips for me..??

I know that book procedure is to drop the exhaust, remove the axle shaft, and drop the alternator out through the bottom... but after looking at it, I think I want to remove the intake manifold to make clearance up above, and pull it out from the top. That seems easier to me. Any Escape owners on here that have had experience with this before? Thanks

I don't know how much different it is, I did one on my dad's 05 escape but that was a 4cylinder, but its still in the bank low side of the engine in a difficult place, we took the exhaust manifold shield, and then the alt. shield while it was down there and it just barely came through the top, I think I recall raising the engine a bit too.

I think removing the intake manifold is more difficult especially if the gaskets can't be reused but if they can then do it.

taking the intake off is not very hard and those gaskets tend to fail anyway causing a bad intake leak

the proper procedure is going from the bottom tho

you dont have to remove the exhaust

The flat rate guys at the dealership I work at, who are pretty good, all do it through the bottom. If it was quicker / easier to do it from the top, they probably would be doing it that way by now.

cheers
Ed N.

Well I aint no ford technician... im actually a gm technician :p hehe... but I didnt have much luck going out the bottom. I disconnected the lower control arm, removed the axle shaft, got the alternator disconnected and the bracket removed, but still couldnt get it out. The bracket that the axle shaft mounts to was still in the way, and that looked like a whole lot more work to get that out... Sooo.. I went up top and removed the intake manifold, and pulled it out from the top.

Maybe it woulda been easier from the bottom if I had a lift, but unfortunately im doing it in the garage on the floor, who knows. All I know is, after all of that, it kinda sucked when I found out I was given the wrong alternator :rolleyes:

Back