Someone's going to go fast next year.....

XR7 Dave

Dave I tried PMing you but said you box is full Hope its ok I put it here.

Dave
Hey buddy I have a question. We spoke a while back and I was trying to figure if I should pick up a Cobra (supercharged engine) or stick with the 3.8. What do you think? Experiences? If I stick with the 3.8 what can you build me and cost? (estimate) Would I be able to bring my car to you and have the work done (tuning etc) or do you ship it all out to me? Not to sure what way to go with this. I'm not in a huge hurry I have all winter. On one hand I want to stick with the 3.8 for the ease of install and to keep it as a real SC on the other the HP you get from a V8 is tempting but a lot of work. If I go with the 3.8 and you build it where do we start?

Hope I'm not a bother. Any info would be great!
Thanks
Rob

PS So I read your building another one as we speak want to make it a pair maybe you can save on parts lol

Dave
Hey buddy I have a question. We spoke a while back and I was trying to figure if I should pick up a Cobra (supercharged engine) or stick with the 3.8. What do you think? Experiences? If I stick with the 3.8 what can you build me and cost? (estimate) Would I be able to bring my car to you and have the work done (tuning etc) or do you ship it all out to me? Not to sure what way to go with this. I'm not in a huge hurry I have all winter. On one hand I want to stick with the 3.8 for the ease of install and to keep it as a real SC on the other the HP you get from a V8 is tempting but a lot of work. If I go with the 3.8 and you build it where do we start?

Thanks
Rob

PS So I read your building another one as we speak want to make it a pair maybe you can save on parts lol

If you look, his email is in his signature.

Dave

Thanks
Rob

I was in the same dilema as you a few months back. Except I was going to opt for a ls 4.8/5.3 swap. For my goal of 9sec power Dave convinced me a 4.2 stroker was more than capable of sustaining that power level. So I went ahead and stuck it out with the ford v6 engine. I know this is heard all too often but I like the idea of being different and having the potential of lining up to a 400+ci motor and walking them down the track. Not to mention I will be the only v6 running 6.95 heads up eliminator class at my local 1/8th mile. Also my car will be street legal so I can compete in the king of the streets event held twice a year and can almost guarantee I will finish in the top 5 of 50 or so cars lol.

Last edited:
You can get motor to make HP with enough boost. But will it hold togeher is the question. Not so sure anyone has had a 600 plus rwhp SC that does serious track time. Maybe one of the mustang guys. Im still up in the air when it comes to long term durability

@ 500rwhp how much power does it take to spin a blower that hard? I would guess it's in the neighborhood of 125-150hp. I know when I had a d1sc on my car, the harder I spun it the less power it made per lb of boost. Felt like I was hitting a brick wall hp wise. When I finally went turbo I saw what all the fuss was about. I made 100rwhp more at the same psi that I did with the d1. There were differences going from one setup to the other but the blower setup had a bigger 530 lift cam and more compression motor where the turbo setup had race port heads and a 490 lift cam and .5 less compression.

This is not a blower vs turbo post. Just stating what I've been through.

Would also like to add and was a big seller to me on the turbo setup is I hated to swap pulleys for different track events with the blower. Now I simplly flip a switch located under my steering wheel that gives me 100rwhp more worth of boost.

Last edited:
There just needs to be more people that think and do things outside of the box. More leaders as opposed to followers. A 600rwhp blower SC wouldn't be that difficult on E85 and it would still be streetable.

Also some people are a bit too afraid of boost. A motor only depends on cylinder pressure to make HP. If two motors that are the same size, bore, and stroke make 600rwhp, but one motor runs 25PSI and the other makes 45PSI, then the motor with higher boost just needs to have some good t-bolt clamps. The boost is nothing really than a means to flow more air through the motor. Otherwise it's just a pressurized induction system.

there just needs to be more people that think and do things outside of the box. More leaders as opposed to followers. A 600rwhp blower sc wouldn't be that difficult on e85 and it would still be streetable.

Also some people are a bit too afraid of boost. A motor only depends on cylinder pressure to make hp. If two motors that are the same size, bore, and stroke make 600rwhp, but one motor runs 25psi and the other makes 45psi, then the motor with higher boost just needs to have some good t-bolt clamps. The boost is nothing really than a means to flow more air through the motor. Otherwise it's just a pressurized induction system.

lets go 30 psi baby!

Dave

Thanks
Rob

Please email me at the email address in my sig. Thanks!

The t56 is a stock 95 TRANS AM LT1 transmission with an LS1 from plate and input shaft. Bell housing is a Macleod scatter shield, rest dual disc clutch, stock sc master cylinder with Macleod slave. Custom drive shaft of course and the crossmember is a stock unit that was modified slightly. I think there are pictures somewhere in the thread.

E85 is hard to find up here still so I can't run it. I can only get 91 octane also so it has to be able to run on what I can get from the pump up here.

The t56 is a stock 95 TRANS AM LT1 transmission with an LS1 from plate and input shaft. Bell housing is a Macleod scatter shield, rest dual disc clutch, stock sc master cylinder with Macleod slave. Custom drive shaft of course and the crossmember is a stock unit that was modified slightly. I think there are pictures somewhere in the thread.

E85 is hard to find up here still so I can't run it. I can only get 91 octane also so it has to be able to run on what I can get from the pump up here.

John,

Were you running 91 octane & methanol injection when on the dyno and racing it last weekend ?

David

So....they readily make a scatter shield that will bolt from the t-56 to the SC engine? For someone just planning this upgrade would you recommend finding a LS1 t-56 to start with or what is the best route from your experience?

chris

Congrats on those numbers John, car must be a handful with that much tq out the gate.

Also curious on the mathanol injection and what do you'll think the cause for the knock may be?

I would go the Ls1 version as there were some improvements from what I found online. I did not have that option locally. The 302 and 3.8 use the same bolt pattern so that is what we used.

So....they readily make a scatter shield that will bolt from the t-56 to the SC engine? For someone just planning this upgrade would you recommend finding a LS1 t-56 to start with or what is the best route from your experience?

chris

Back