Someone's going to go fast next year.....

its a BLUE car... not that I have ANY clue who's it might be.
I just noticed the factory overspray.

Interesting stuff. If this is a stick car, those are the type of suspension upgrades necessary to reduce bouncing the tires like basketballs. Especially for a car making a lot of ponies. Nobody blindly makes 450+rwhp and doesn't touch the suspension!

Or do they?:)

Hey wait... I have gold coat pistons and tool steel pins! Better go out and check my car, make sure we ain't got some "overhaulin" stuff goin on here.:confused:

THIS is a good eBay seller to buy new Ford rear hubs (T-Bird pattern) from.

He'll accept an offer of $40 each if you buy a pair, I've done it twice.

Last edited:
Hey sweet! I ordered some from him. I went through my stash of spindles/hubs and turns out that from 6 all have spun the inner race at least one time and have very little press fit left. So I'd rather just use new ones for this project.

Interesting stuff. If this is a stick car, those are the type of suspension upgrades necessary to reduce bouncing the tires like basketballs. Especially for a car making a lot of ponies. Nobody blindly makes 450+rwhp and doesn't touch the suspension!

Or do they?:)

Sure they do :eek:

David

Originally Posted by CMac89

Or do they?

Sure they do :eek:

David

Indeed :eek:

Ira

Hey sweet! I ordered some from him. I went through my stash of spindles/hubs and turns out that from 6 all have spun the inner race at least one time and have very little press fit left. So I'd rather just use new ones for this project.

^X4 me too!

how many miles on the motor when disassembled? How did the piston bores look? How did the skirt coating look? And how did the piston tops look? I'm curious how the coatings hold up and any difference in cylinder wear on the switch to the forged pistons, or the longer rods. I.e. is there any reason to think the options selected for this motor originally were unnecessary or did provide some benefit?
Oh, and how did the rings look?

Dave, what's been applied to the pistons between the compression rings? Is that more moly graphite coating or something else?

People who have 450+rwhp and stock suspension are leaving a lot on the table. To some people that approach is unacceptable. ;)

Mike, coatings held up really well. Tops are perfect, and the skirts just show some light wear. I contemplated having the skirts redone but decided against it. The cylinders had some wear from the pistons rocking in the bores which I think came from detonation moreso than anything to do with piston design.

Rings (chrome faced SS) looked fine. We were able to clean up the bores by removing only about .0005" so everything will go back together within spec. These pistons were originally installed at .0045" and so now they are at about .0050". Maximum reliable clearance for these particular pistons is about .0065".

Paul, I think you are seeing shadows from the ring grooves or maybe the pressure balance groove. There is no coating or anything at all above the bottom oil rail.

I looked at the picture again and zoomed in... it IS a groove between the compression ring grooves. What purpose does this serve?

Not sure if that piston has both attributes, but there are Anti-detonation grooves that typically go on piston before the top ring. Then there is a pressure groove between the 1st ring and 2nd ring.
from this post:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907570
What are the pressure grooves or equalization channel on the 2nd ring land for?

The accumulation of gases that get by the top ring can unseat it. A pressure groove delays this action. This is why today's recommendation is to keep the 2nd ring end-gap as large as or larger than the top ring end-gap. It is a shaped channel that works by equalizing the pressure seen between the top and second ring with the pressure in the combustion chamber. This feature enhances ring seal, improving power, and engine life and fuel economy. The presence of this feature depends on your piston manufacturer as some have them, some don’t.

People who have 450+rwhp and stock suspension are leaving a lot on the table.

Dave,

Please explain what the benifits to upgrading the suspension are. For example, will upgrading the suspension like you have done here make it quicker/faster at the drag strip ?

David

People who have 450+rwhp and stock suspension are leaving a lot on the table. To some people that approach is unacceptable.QUOTE]

I leave mine stock so everyone else can keep up. Oh wait I don't make 450rwhp so guess I don't need it yet.;):D

But really I do need to find out if the subframe I put in has the delrin or not.

Back