tail lights dont work,need help to avoid paying ticket

briansc88

yo guys my tail lights havent worked in forever and i never really cared but i got a conditional ticket if i dont fix them, im gonna tear into them in the morning but are the break lights and tail lights two separate bulbs, or are the the same bulb?brake lights do work, any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated

Running lights and brake lights are the same bulb(Different filament though). Check the fuses first. It is likely a fuse, multifunction switch, or headlamp switch issue. Im guessing that later of the three....Fuses first...Do any of the running lights work, meaning in the front or license plate lights in the rear?

thanks for the input i also should have added that the dash light dosent work and neither does the display that tells of fluid levels

When I was having lighting problems I checked the light switch (the one that pulls out on the dash) and the connector was melted and crumbling. I can't believe it hadn't started a fire.

If your fuses are okay double check that.

The knob has a small tab on the the underside you need to push on with a very small screwdriver.

Had to replace the MFS also. After all that I rewired everything to a set of auxiliary relays and now only pilot amperage goes through the switches. As an added bonus by increasing the wire size and severely shortening the runs I picked up almost 2 volts to the light bulbs. Lights are noticeably brighter.

Sean

thanks a ton for the help fellas,sean do i have to take the dash out to get to the head light toggle? also every fuse checked out and no dice so the search still continues

Just pull on the knob till it comes off....

Remove dash surround.....

Head light knob will have a flat hex nut that hold unit into the dash frame....

alright so im back at this after working the past couple days whats the process for pulling out the headlight switch i know someone said just pull on it till it comes loose but i dont wanna break it

Back