BHJ + Broken crank pulley bolts ..

Ray,

Did the shop drill the new holes in the pulley with one hole offset like the balancer is drilled ? What did you do about the striped threads in the balancer ?

David

They told me "yes". It's been ready since Wednesday. I haven't seen it yet. Picking it up tomorrow morning. They did tell me they weren't equipped to check for zero balance. They also didn't think it was necessary.

They told me "yes". It's been ready since Wednesday. I haven't seen it yet. Picking it up tomorrow morning. They did tell me they weren't equipped to check for zero balance. They also didn't think it was necessary.

I wouldn't worry about re-balancing it either. I would also use some grade 8 bolts this time.

David

So, now I picked it up this morning. Went down to get 4 grade 8 bolts, 8x1.25 mm, and the bolts are loose in the threads. Geez.... 10x1.25 are too big, and I'm not finding any 9x 1.25. I think when they chased the threads, they went a little too big. Although, they told me they used 8x1.25 to chase them. I may just go with the bolts and use some lock tight on em. I guess I could try to drill holes a bit bigger and re-thread them.

I can wiggle the bolts by hand while they're in the threaded holes, all the way down. I think a M9 bolt would work, but I can't find any. I tried standard size bolts. Had no luck there, either. I had planned to install this back on the vehicle today. I wound up burying a gutter down spout instead. Oh, the joy....

Took the BHJ back to Mike's Auto. They put sleeves in the balancer. Now M8 bolts work. I can't find any grade 8 metric bolts anywhere. All the grade 8's are standard. The metric's are class 10.9 with the flange. Says "automotive" on the package. Mike's also drilled 4 new holes in my pulley. Looks kinda like those redrilled hubs for the Mustang wheels. Of course, there's a problem with that..... The new holes are ever so slightly off, so all 4 bolts will not grab the treads while the pulley's on. I should've just bought the pulley that was offered to me last week & saved a little of the hassle. So now, I don't know If I should try to drill the bolt holes in the pulley a bit larger (thinking this is a bad idea), or going to the junkyard & finding a stocker to use & wait for a March pulley to become available.

Through all of this, I've learned that riding the motorcycle to work everyday isn't fun in March here in St. Louis.

I can't find any grade 8 metric bolts anywhere. All the grade 8's are standard.

Correct, by definition! Grade 8 is an SAE thing. Grade 10.9 is roughly equivalent for metric. There is one grade higher that I know of, 12.9, but it's also more brittle, so is rarely used on automotive fasteners.

So now, I don't know If I should try to drill the bolt holes in the pulley a bit larger (thinking this is a bad idea), or going to the junkyard & finding a stocker to use & wait for a March pulley to become available.

I think slotting the pulley holes a small amount will be fine. Worth a shot ... maybe check torque once a day for a week and then call it good if it holds?

Through all of this, I've learned that riding the motorcycle to work everyday isn't fun in March here in St. Louis.

LOL. I can imagine!

Back