Rough cold starting..Almost quit this morning..~~~?

phils89sc

Ok, so, this morning I go out to start my car to let her warm up am defrost the windows, get warm, etc. I crank her up and the tacho jumps to about 1200 rpm, them instantly back down to 900rpm. This is not so unusual for my car, so I go to get out of it and the idle drops and seriously starts to lope, at about 400-500rpm, like half the cylinders are firing. I found this to be very unusual, since it has never done this before. So I get back in after waiting a few seconds to see if it would catch and idle back up, but no dice. I get back in, shut off the car, I turn the key a few times to the 'On' position and back off a few times, the start it back up. It starts like it did the first tome, up to about 1100rpm, instantly drops down to 900, then for a second or two, she seems to run like it is straining, like timing has been backed way off or something, then, wham, she straightens up and idles perfectly.

I have not yet check the codes yet. There was no CEL. The straining thing happens almost every morning though on a cold start. After it warms up, it stops doing it. I can shut it off and start it back up and it will run fine. Could it be fuel related? Timing related? I just don't get it? Especially because after it warms up, it is rock solid.

If I can't figure this out, I think I am just going to sell the car as is. I love my SC, but they seem to be plagued by so many gremlins that is really makes me miss the days of having the very simple 5.0 Mustang, you know?

Thanks in advance...

when is the last time it had plugs and wires done. may want to check them first good luck.

Have you done any mods to the cold air intake side of things (MAF and/or TB)or fuel injectors without adjusting the tune for them?

Fraser

Have you done any mods to the cold air intake side of things (MAF and/or TB)or fuel injectors without adjusting the tune for them?

Fraser

No MAF or injector mods or CAI. The plus are new Autolite copper plugs gapped to .040 and have relatively new Taylor Reds which are fine. My first thought was fuel pump.

Question.... Are the any sensors that can have problems and not throw codes or set off the CEL ?

Back