MN12 Rollbar pics and input wanted.

The point of a roll bar is to protect the driver in the case of a roll over. The side bars on a roll bar are there to support the roll bar and do almost nothing to prevent intrusion if a car hits you from the side. From what I've seen, the bars are put together piece by piece and welded as they go in. They use special torch heads as well that let them sneak. Not too mention, the interior usually goes in after the bar is in. Thus there is more room than you see.

Not sure what bends you would add to fit the interior, but typically, it comes down you won't pass tech with most bends to make things fight tighter. Bends in the main hoop are limited since in a roll over, the main hoop is the only thing holding up your roof and keeping it from hitting your head.

I'd be very careful of having passengers in a car with a roll bar. At a minimum ensure everyone is wearing safety belts. Things typically won't end well if you get in an accident and start banging your head against DOM tubing. Even a low speed accident could have significant consequences.

Dave: I can't find pictures of the door bars I was talking about but these are very similar. Main difference in the bars I saw had a horizonal piece where they connected to the main hoop so that the diagonal piece was properly positioned on the occupants arm.

Here is my 8 point install I did myself. I still have to paint it, but it is fully welded in the car.

empty...

007-2.jpg

hoop tacked in..

001-4.jpg

rear bars tacked in..

016-2.jpg

good fitment..

011-1.jpg

floor plates for points 7 and 8, tied into through the floor sub frame connectors....

049.jpg

048-1.jpg

004-4.jpg

door bars..

009-3.jpg

and final weld...

006-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

013-4.jpg

014-1.jpg

anyway, hope these help..

Keith,

Does that require removal of the headliner ?

David

Yes it does David, I gutted my interior just like Chris did. I know Todd had a hard time re-installing the headliner back in his Mustang after the rollbar install. I wonder what people do when they install a full cage..........:eek:

head liner replacement..

I put a full cage in my one car. I also stripped everything out of the car to do the cage. When I was done I put everything back in. When I got to the headliner we removed the windsheild and slipped the headliner in over the cage. Part of the reason I did that is the cage does have a "halo" cage built into it. This is a ten point cage and I was able to build it and keep everything except the rear seat as that is something I don't need in this car. I did make the driver's side bar so it can come out if I want. There is a hinge on it so it swings out so I can get my fat butt in the car.....Rich

Yes it does David, I gutted my interior just like Chris did. I know Todd had a hard time re-installing the headliner back in his Mustang after the rollbar install. I wonder what people do when they install a full cage..........:eek:

Has Rick said when yours will be finished?

Has Rick said when yours will be finished?

I stopped by there last Thurs. and my car was still sitting outside. I went in and talked to him and he said that the cars he was already working on in the shop had some delays in their parts coming in. He originally told me it would be done by last Weds. but when he told me that I said to just take your time I'm in no hurry so I guess he took my advice to heart.......:rolleyes:

Some goodies started arriving today so when a few more get here I'm going to need your imput/knowledge on a couple things.

but when he told me that I said to just take your time I'm in no hurry so I guess he took my advice to heart.

Whenever you deal with outside job shops, you have to recognize that almost everyone they deal with says they need it yesterday. Thus if you're trying to be the nice guy and say you can take it "whenever" you're gonna be the guy stuck waiting until you get pissed from it taking so long.

Your best bet is to work out some hard dates up front that they agree to and you and they can measure their progress against.

I stopped by there last Thurs. and my car was still sitting outside. I went in and talked to him and he said that the cars he was already working on in the shop had some delays in their parts coming in. He originally told me it would be done by last Weds. but when he told me that I said to just take your time I'm in no hurry so I guess he took my advice to heart.......:rolleyes:

Some goodies started arriving today so when a few more get here I'm going to need your imput/knowledge on a couple things.

Yeah I wanted to talk to you about the next phase anyway. Think I should do a few engine upgrades if you are going for the low tens. When we assmebled that engine we were hoping for 400hp and 12 seconds. You blew right by that one though....

Whenever you deal with outside job shops, you have to recognize that almost everyone they deal with says they need it yesterday. Thus if you're trying to be the nice guy and say you can take it "whenever" you're gonna be the guy stuck waiting until you get pissed from it taking so long.

Your best bet is to work out some hard dates up front that they agree to and you and they can measure their progress against.
Yeah this is def the case with Rick K. He is good at what he does, but there is usually a line to wait in....Not sure how I feel about it sitting outside in that area for a night let alone a few weeks....

I have a couple of construction questions:

How the heck do you do full perimeter welds on some of those tubes with the pieces in the car? Seems nearly impossible to me.

Why don't you ever see these things made with curved bars to better fit the contour on the interior, especially the main loop.

Do the connection points need to be on structural parts of the car or is a backup plate attached to the sheet metal floor pan acceptable?

for the top welds ive seen some people cut a hole in the floor and drop the hoop thru the floor and it gives them access to the top of the hoop. they tack the 8x8 to the bar fit everything and take it pull the plate out drop it thru the hole and do the tops. when its put back in the 8x8 plate fills in that hole and youll never know it wasnt there.

Last edited:
Yeah this is def the case with Rick K. He is good at what he does, but there is usually a line to wait in....Not sure how I feel about it sitting outside in that area for a night let alone a few weeks....

The car's interior is gutted, there's no radio or nothing, you can't open the hood without the hood pin keys so what would anyone want?

You know him better than me. I'll run by there Weds. or so and see what's going on, I might have to sic you on him for me...........:D

Last edited:
for the top welds ive seen some people cut a hole in the floor and drop the hoop thru the floor and it gives them access to the top of the hoop. they tack the 8x8 to the bar fit everything and tack it pull the plate out drop it thru the hole and to the tops. when its put back in the 8x8 plate fills in that hole and youll never know it wasnt there.

There's an idea. Thanks for that.:)

The car's interior is gutted, there's no radio or nothing, you can't open the hood without the hood pin keys so what would anyone want?

You know him better than me. I'll run by there Weds. or so and see what's going on, I might have to sic you on him for me...........:D

I was worried about them taking the whole car...

Back