Door Striker Help

frdlvr30

My bushings gave up on the door strikers. I went to Advance Auto and picked up a stiker bushing kit. They are too large for the bolt and wont allow the door to close. Waste of 8 bucks. Anyway, I am wanting to just replace the strikers. Anyone have a part number I can search for? I found these on Ebay but not sure that they are correct. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories According to the part match thingy on the auction itself, they wont. They look correct though. Any ideas? Are they available from Ford any longer?

I found them in the HELP section at Advanced Auto....

There are two different kinds for the Fords....

One has a slightly larger bolt than the other.....

I found them in the HELP section at Advanced Auto....

There are two different kinds for the Fords....

One has a slightly larger bolt than the other.....

Yeah I walked in and found them right away. It was a kit of four. Two shorter than the other two. They dont fit the bolt(Loose) and they wont allow the latch to close over them. The diameter is too great. The door just catches on the edge and gets stuck on the bushing. Def not correct. So there is a different kit? Did yours have four bushings or just two?

Yeah I walked in and found them right away. It was a kit of four. Two shorter than the other two. They dont fit the bolt(Loose) and they wont allow the latch to close over them. The diameter is too great. The door just catches on the edge and gets stuck on the bushing. Def not correct. So there is a different kit? Did yours have four bushings or just two?

The proper kit (Dorman # 38445 - HELP! number is the same or very similar) is what you're actually looking for - it's the bolt, the plastic bushing, and the metal bracket.

The bushing kits are a total waste of money - none of them match.

Before you cruise the HELP! area (or the UNEEDA area, almost identical numbers - or MotorMite, again, same family!) I'd check the cross reference at www.dormanproducts.com .

RwP

It's quite annoying, but you can't buy the bushing separately. I also measured the bushings to see if they would cross-reference to any known size of plastic pipe, but it's a very odd size. I think it's 12mm inside and 14.8mm outside. Neither dimension seems to be a common size of pipe, so simply cutting new ones for pennies apiece seems to be out of the question. I talked to a club member who lathes things about fabricating some, but he said the cost in materials and time would probably be greater than the $9 apiece we have to pay now.

If anyone knows where to find 12mm ID plastic pipe, or 14.8mm OD plastic pipe, let me know!

That's the same thing that I had thought of...

I could make my own, but it just wouldn't be cost effective for me to sell them....

I have found some good ones in the junk yards....

Passenger side door strikers seem to last longer than the drivers side....:rolleyes:

the ones off back doors on some vehicles work really well too...I picked up a half dozen from the local Pullapart.....Dan

The proper kit (Dorman # 38445 - HELP! number is the same or very similar) is what you're actually looking for - it's the bolt, the plastic bushing, and the metal bracket.

The bushing kits are a total waste of money - none of them match.

Before you cruise the HELP! area (or the UNEEDA area, almost identical numbers - or MotorMite, again, same family!) I'd check the cross reference at www.dormanproducts.com .

RwP

Thats what I was looking for.....thanks!!

I just took some passenger side hinges I had and flipped them. Door works great now.

Sean

I take a milk jug, cut 3" long strips the width of the bushing, wrap them around the post a couple of times and secure with 2 zip ties.. one at each end where the latch doesn't catch the zip tie. :D

How about aluminum? I have been using electrical tape. I have a buch of solid round aluminum and some aluminum tubing. I was gonna turn some out on the lathe but i was worried there might be a reason they used plastic. If someone can get me an o.d. of an actual bushing in thousands i'll make a bunch and hook you guys up. I can make them out of schedule 40, cpvc or aluminum.

How about aluminum? I have been using electrical tape. I have a buch of solid round aluminum and some aluminum tubing. I was gonna turn some out on the lathe but i was worried there might be a reason they used plastic. If someone can get me an o.d. of an actual bushing in thousands i'll make a bunch and hook you guys up. I can make them out of schedule 40, cpvc or aluminum.

I think the Motormite ones are gray PVC, so that material appears to work fine. The approximate dimensions are in my post above. How low do you think you could get the cost?

Gray pvc should be schedule 40. I might be able to get a higher schedule. I don't really want any money for doin it. I was pissed that i had to buy an entire striker kit when i went looking for bushings. I put them back on the shelf. I'll be home tomorrow night. I'll try and whip a few together. Pm me your info and i'll mail you a set.

I have 3 sets of striker bushings complete. Anyone want them? I think i am gonna whip out a set of aluminum bushings. I'd have to charge for those but they should last forever. The plastic ones cost about $0.01 to make. If anyone wants them, they are free. Theres no warranty ;)

I have 3 sets of striker bushings complete. Anyone want them? I think i am gonna whip out a set of aluminum bushings. I'd have to charge for those but they should last forever. The plastic ones cost about $0.01 to make. If anyone wants them, they are free. Theres no warranty ;)

Hi there, I realize this thread is old but did you ever have success with these bushings? I got the bird out yesterday and right when I shut the door I knew something sounded odd. Sure enough the bushing failed. Maybe you have a drawing around still? Wonder if anyone has tried to 3D print these, may be interesting as well.

Thanks!

I was able to buy a striker kit from the help section of AutoZone, but not just the bushing (it was a different size). This is the part number for the entire striker kit that I used (Dorman 38445 Door Striker Bolt). I wasn't able to find just the bushing.

Back