Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door Striker Help

Quote Originally Posted by mmathews View Post
    How about aluminum? I have been using electrical tape. I have a buch of solid round aluminum and some aluminum tubing. I was gonna turn some out on the lathe but i was worried there might be a reason they used plastic. If someone can get me an o.d. of an actual bushing in thousands i'll make a bunch and hook you guys up. I can make them out of schedule 40, cpvc or aluminum.
    I think the Motormite ones are gray PVC, so that material appears to work fine. The approximate dimensions are in my post above. How low do you think you could get the cost?
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Gray pvc should be schedule 40. I might be able to get a higher schedule. I don't really want any money for doin it. I was pissed that i had to buy an entire striker kit when i went looking for bushings. I put them back on the shelf. I'll be home tomorrow night. I'll try and whip a few together. Pm me your info and i'll mail you a set.

I have 3 sets of striker bushings complete. Anyone want them? I think i am gonna whip out a set of aluminum bushings. I'd have to charge for those but they should last forever. The plastic ones cost about $0.01 to make. If anyone wants them, they are free. Theres no warranty

Quote Originally Posted by mmathews View Post
    I have 3 sets of striker bushings complete. Anyone want them? I think i am gonna whip out a set of aluminum bushings. I'd have to charge for those but they should last forever. The plastic ones cost about $0.01 to make. If anyone wants them, they are free. Theres no warranty
    Hi there, I realize this thread is old but did you ever have success with these bushings? I got the bird out yesterday and right when I shut the door I knew something sounded odd. Sure enough the bushing failed. Maybe you have a drawing around still? Wonder if anyone has tried to 3D print these, may be interesting as well.

Thanks!

I was able to buy a striker kit from the help section of AutoZone, but not just the bushing (it was a different size). This is the part number for the entire striker kit that I used (Dorman 38445 Door Striker Bolt). I wasn't able to find just the bushing.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

The Dorman 38445 kit is available at Rock Auto for less that $10 and includes a bushing. If you just want the bushings I could probably make up some out of aluminum, plastic or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jb351 View Post
    The Dorman 38445 kit is available at Rock Auto for less that $10 and includes a bushing. If you just want the bushings I could probably make up some out of aluminum, plastic or whatever.
    Hi guys & thanks for the replies! I think for S's & G's I'm going to try to 3D print a couple & see how they work out. I appreciate the offers of making some for sure!

Thanks All
    ALR

How did the 3D printed one work out and what material did you use? Quite curious as I recently purchased a 3D printer as well.

I havent gotten to trying this yet, I got sidetracked getting my old Plymouth back on the road, work, etc. I'll try to get on it in the next few days & let you know:-)

Just a FYI
    Those plastic pieces can be made outta 1/2" PEX tubing. I know because I just used some. Worked prefect

Quote Originally Posted by blue-94 View Post
    Just a FYI
    Those plastic pieces can be made outta 1/2" PEX tubing. I know because I just used some. Worked prefect
    Good info, I'll take a look at that method as well. I printed a couple with the 3D printer but havent tried them. Any issue with the door getting out of alignment after removing the striker plate or even worse a bolt breaking off?

I just put it back in the same spot. I was really surprised how well they worked. Iím a plumber so I had some laying around. You could buy a life time supply for ten bucks at any hardware store.

Most any auto parts store has them

Most any auto parts store has them about 8 bucks a pair