• Yes

47 78.33%
  • No

5 8.33%
  • Who Cares

8 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Add an "Exhaust Section" to SCCOA Forums

I had cats into my dual in/out muffler which is in place of the resonator and then nothing after that and my car was louder WOT than my bros 66 vette with 4" side pipes and silencers

so the deeper sound comes from combining both banks into the single pipe where as true dual will be a higher pitch but flow a little better

the longer the exhaust travels the quieter the exit sound will be and the further back your mufflers are the quieter the sound

Kool. So you of any other brand name pipes that are stainless steel that aren't dual. I think I'm gonna go the single pipe setup like our cars are now but 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Crash00527 View Post
    Yea I gotta hear some more sound clips. Some magnaflows sound slightly ricey/ European like

I know you don't get power gain unless you change the ENTIRE exhaust, like I have on my Camaro and Grand National. The only reason i want the exhaust changed IS for some better sound & air flow.

I already have kooks headers sitting in my garage for power gain.
    Here's video of my SC with longtube headers 3" collectors, single 3.5" Magnaflow resonator and dual 3" Magnaflow open chamber mufflers. To me it sounds like an Infinity G35 on crack. It also has mind numbing drone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfdSGW4pQEA

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

Doesn't sound bad Dave. But not what im looking for. I guess I have to put a cam in or some cut outs to really get what i want ;(

that sounds like muffs near the rear...

I wish I got a sound clip of my turn downs...I can still disconnect the rear exhaust and get a sound clip...I might be doing that this summer cause I need to drop my tank again , but I dont think that will benefit you

it does sound sweet though, but way too much interior resonance for hwy driving

Would eliminating the cats (versus a new magnaflow y-pipe assembly WITH hi-flo cats) yield any flow/power gains? Down low/up high?

I'll be replacing/installing three exhaust systems (or partially using the OE stuff if it's not too rotten) over the next year and I'd like to find the sweet spot between cost/performance/sound.

I already have the Flowmaster II kit and a magnaflow y-pipe with cats. Been following the Mandrel Exhaust Systems guys. I bought a little wire welder last year... any comments from those who bought and installed any of these or found a better idea please pipe up.
    3 SC's over a pair of SHO's ...

Plat O Ribs Full House of SVT!
    SCCoA Member#: 3251

I clicked on who cares as well. These threads all go the same way with dozens of I did it this way or mine sounds like this. I would think, in this club anyway, that there other more popular sections that could be added like

Turbo section
    Power Adder section
    Picture gallery. Click on wheels or Interiors, Engines, I know we have a garage section but if I wanted to see custom paint jobs, or diffrent wheels a gallery that would be more specific would be nice.

Never figured out why stuff like the 2001 - 2003 nationals are sections or Shootout 2003. A little pruning wouldnt hurt either

Ken

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, water intercooled..yet to see

No, power should be the same. You may gain and extra 1 hp. They will Just be louder because you're catless and you'll prob. have lots of drone.

It all depends on what you want the most. Power, sound, cost. I've done extensive research on various type of combination of exhaust systems and have spoken to many tech experts also from various companies and have listened to many many sound clips. The money thing isnt a big deal to me. I'd rather save up and buy the best of what I like for my car.

I've finally decided on my perfect exhaust.... Kooks SS headers, Magnaflow SS Direct fit highflow cats, Magnaflow polished SS resonator, Custom made polished SS Mandrel bent pipes (2.5" to 3" to 2.5") Magnaflow SS polished 4" round mufflers.
    Last edited by Crash00527; 03-01-2011 at 09:09 PM.

I've finally decided on my perfect exhaust.... Kooks SS headers, Magnaflow SS highflow cats, Magnaflow polished SS resonator, Custom made polished SS Mandrel bent pipes (2.5" to 3" to 2.5") Magnaflow SS polished 4" round mufflers.
    You should consider using spun metallic cats instead. There's not much room for cats, and you'll have even less with the auto tranny.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=61

Damon told me the same thing. But my thing is, I'm getting the direct fit ones.
    If i get the universal or the spun cat ones i have to build whole other pipe because I'm getting rid of every spec of stock exhaust.

Damon told me the same thing. But my thing is, I'm getting the direct fit ones.
    If i get the universal or the spun cat ones i have to build whole other pipe because I'm getting rid of every spec of stock exhaust.
    What "direct fit ones" are you talking about? There's nothing available in stainless steel that will bolt up to the Kooks headers, maybe to the stock manifolds, but not to headers.

yes you are correct. I failed to mention i will be getting kooks headers at a later date. now you have me thinking.... I should get the spun cats and have the custom pipe made anyway due to the fact they will actually fit the kooks.

yes you are correct. I failed to mention i will be getting kooks headers at a later date. now you have me thinking.... I should get the spun cats and have the custom pipe made anyway due to the fact they will actually fit the kooks.
    If you are doing the medium length headers, you should also consider chopping off the leaky ball and flange connection, and replace it with a v-band connection.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    If you are doing the medium length headers, you should also consider chopping off the leaky ball and flange connection, and replace it with a v-band connection.

David
    +1, or real flanges....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=44
    Last edited by DLF; 03-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.

thanks for the note. will do. i am definitely getting mid lengths due to my car being low.