my intake manifold modifications

Kevin Leitem

I wasn't going to do anything with my car this year since i am planning on building a completely new engine. but i got a little bored and here is what I started. I have learned that the inlet plenum is a restiction for making big power. I decided to move the return plenum back a few inches to make more room for the inlet plenum. the inlet will be 4" aluminum tube with a holley 95 MM throttle body.

Attachments

• IMG-20110225-00002.jpg
    IMG-20110225-00002.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG-20110225-00003.jpg
    IMG-20110225-00003.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG-20110225-00004.jpg
    IMG-20110225-00004.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 917
I wasn't going to do anything with my car this year since i am planning on building a completely new engine. but i got a little bored and here is what I started. I have learned that the inlet plenum is a restiction for making big power. I decided to move the return plenum back a few inches to make more room for the inlet plenum. the inlet will be 4" aluminum tube with a holley 95 MM throttle body.

is this going into a tbird? do you plan on cutting back the firewall to get this to fit?

Kevin,

Are you going to rework the MP casting or just build a new plenum from scratch ?

David

Suh-WEET!
Looks like you have addressed everything but the small blower and
the "pancake" manifold restrictions. Also, great news that you can
do quality welds with a spool gun! That is our setup, but waiting for
Warmer weather to weld, no good indoor welding shop :mad:

Suh-WEET!
Looks like you have addressed everything but the small blower and
the "pancake" manifold restrictions. Also, great news that you can
do quality welds with a spool gun! That is our setup, but waiting for
Warmer weather to weld, no good indoor welding shop :mad:

Thanks, but I wouldn't call them quality. I would rather have a TIG. But it gets the job done. Its just been fun seeing how fast I can make this little M90 go! The next engine will be serious with either a F1r or F2 supercharger. Running on 100% methanol,high rise sheet metal intake, with BIG Stuff III running it.

some pics of todays progress. Welds arn't pretty I will clean them up more tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG-20110226-00005.jpg
    IMG-20110226-00005.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG-20110226-00006.jpg
    IMG-20110226-00006.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG-20110226-00007.jpg
    IMG-20110226-00007.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG-20110226-00008.jpg
    IMG-20110226-00008.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 745
Nobody likes modifing parts like me, but in many previous threads it was agreed that the lower intake could only flow so much air, and mods increasing voluum in werent a real improvement. Am I wrong there???

Ken

Nobody likes modifing parts like me, but in many previous threads it was agreed that the lower intake could only flow so much air, and mods increasing voluum in werent a real improvement. Am I wrong there???

Ken

I think the key here is to move the return farther back, to allow for a larger inlet plenum.

I think the key here is to move the return farther back, to allow for a larger inlet plenum.

Cant agree with that. I enlarged my plenum and the inlet to the lower intake but in previous threads it was agreed that the lower intake could only flow so much air through the individual ports and that the stock inlet was enough. I had already increased the size of my inlet by than. Now raising the roof of the lower intake seemed to show merit for very high RPM motors, if I remember right, but other than that going to 4" inlet on the intake seems to be over kill. I am in left field here or not

Ken

Cant agree with that. I enlarged my plenum and the inlet to the lower intake but in previous threads it was agreed that the lower intake could only flow so much air through the individual ports and that the stock inlet was enough. I had already increased the size of my inlet by than. Now raising the roof of the lower intake seemed to show merit for very high RPM motors, if I remember right, but other than that going to 4" inlet on the intake seems to be over kill. I am in left field here or not

Ken
i think you are misunderstanding what parts we are talking about. inlet plenum= to the supercharger return plenum = to intake manifold
the tube going to the lower intake manifold is 3.5 inches the same as all my intercooler tubes. all the work on the intake was done just to move it back to allow more room to make a new intake to the supercharger. that will be all 4 inch from the air filter to the supercharger.

Last edited:
i think you are misunderstanding what parts we are talking about. inlet plenum= to the supercharger return plenum = to intake manifold
the tube going to the lower intake manifold is 3.5 inches the same as all my intercooler tubes. all the work on the intake was done just to move it back to allow more room to make a new intake to the supercharger. that will be all 4 inch from the air filter to the supercharger.

I understand now that the TB plenum will now have room to be expanded, which is a great deal. I didnt realize your IC tubes were 3.5":eek: My are 3" and are really big so I can appriciate the monster 3.5 you have on there. I still think the limiting factor is how much air the pathetic pancake manifold can deliver to each port. So the 3.5" return tubes still seems to big, heck my is 3" all the way and they are probably more than the manifold can flow. Are you still using a M90 blower?

Ken

Back