what the heck is this noise? Video inside

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Can you guys help me pinpoint or suggest where to start? The car has new eibach springs and KYB shocks with new strut mounts. The noise as you can see can be replicated when the passinger side corner is pushed down, or when the steering wheel is moved. It sounds like a bushing going bad but not sure. I figured I'd get your thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Sounds like upper control arm bushings. Rather than replacing the bushings, most people just replace the entire upper control arm.

David

autozone has a cheapo stethoscope for around $10. weed that in to each knuckle while you have a helper simulate the noise. thats the best way i can think to track exactly whats making the noise.

Those are almost certainly two separate noises. For the first one, I agree with David. It's probably the UCA bushings, especially if they are the original UCAs. There was a TSB about those long ago, because they made a noise like that when cold.

The second one sounds pretty bad ... bad ball joints, rack, or steering pump, would be my guess.

dry and just plain worn out ball joint. get under there and inspect and like said before get a stheoscope.

How do you load up the suspension before tightening everything down. Not to highjack the thread but once the car is lowered, I cant get under there to torque it all down.

How do you load up the suspension before tightening everything down. Not to highjack the thread but once the car is lowered, I cant get under there to torque it all down.

You could use ramps. Or you can get close by using jackstands under the LCAs so it sits at something like ride height. Obviously, be careful, and use a backup lifting device for safety.

Had the same noise over the past few summers. Changed my ball joints last summer, and still have the noise. Great to know that others are dealing with it also. Please let me know what it turns out to be, i'd really like mine to go away :(

Also, does it make noise sometimes around turns?

That sounds like dry upper control arm bushings. Try to spray some wd40 on the bushings and see if it stops it temporarily. The upper bushings you can tighten under load easily. These are the ones that are under the hood. Try backing the 18mm nuts off and then push up and down and see if the noise is still there. If its not, spray some white grease in there and then tighten to spec.

My lower ball joint started sqeeking. It also made the steering stiffer. And pulled to the bad side under brakeing.

Did you load up the suspension before you torqued everything down?

Fraser

I was under the impression that this was only necessary if you did work on the control arms and joints...not when doing springs and shocks.

Those are almost certainly two separate noises. For the first one, I agree with David. It's probably the UCA bushings, especially if they are the original UCAs. There was a TSB about those long ago, because they made a noise like that when cold.

The second one sounds pretty bad ... bad ball joints, rack, or steering pump, would be my guess.

Kudos on your observation skills my friend, the car does indeed have a noisy steering pump but that noise is only slightly perceivable in the video...the noise in the video is pretty much all noisy suspension.

I guess i'll try fiddling with those bushings to see if there is any change in noise...if so, i'll get the upper arms replaced.

Back