The Saga of the turd

No, I never realllllllllllly found what THE issue was, but I did find a few things taking it apart that made me thnkful I did take it apart. lots of time bombs. I put the car together drunk and in a mad rush for the shootout so things went together a little shaky. I always saw your budlight cans so I figured if i wanna go fast I gotta be hydrated!

I changed a whole bunch of little things around. I put the fuel guage in, so that should help me start to figure out whats goin on with it...

yes, waldo is hard to find in my mess.

One time AT the shootout, when I was well hydrated, I woke up the next morning and found a cone filter wedged down by my starter. Almost as cool as the 2x4 that was stuck under ricos car:p

No, I never realllllllllllly found what THE issue was, but I did find a few things taking it apart that made me thnkful I did take it apart. lots of time bombs. I put the car together drunk and in a mad rush for the shootout so things went together a little shaky. I always saw your budlight cans so I figured if i wanna go fast I gotta be hydrated!

I changed a whole bunch of little things around. I put the fuel guage in, so that should help me start to figure out whats goin on with it...

yes, waldo is hard to find in my mess.

Yeah...drinking while working on cars doesn't usually end well. Chris Wise and I replaced a stripped out rocker stud on my 91 SC one evening while enjoying some cold ones. We had already done the same job several times and were getting pretty fast at stripping the motor down and installing a helicoil in the head. We finished in record time, but when we started it up, it sounded like someone was banging on the motor with a hammer. Ooops...we forgot to adjust and lock down a few of the rockers :eek:

These days, the drinking doesn't usually start until we are done turning wrenches.

David

haha yea, I adopted a new rule of no beers and wrenches at the same time. I never found a cone filter at my starter, but I did aparently spraypaint my cone filter brown once. I also spraypainted FTW all over my garage walls, and my fender...

I got everything back in and I am going to attempt to start it back up.. Hopefully it starts without problems. I'v never had to tow the car into the garage befor so im a bit nervous but we will see!

Last edited:
SOOOOOOOOO

i got everything buttoned up to start it today. I got it running, and idle in park is as good or better then it ever was. It seems like it may have an inch or so move vac which is a plus. The idle in drive, is noneeeeeeeeee. soon as I put it in drive, boom shuts down. it dosent stumble, just boom. off. I tried opening up the TB a bit, and got it so it juuuuuuuuuuust runs when the IAC is disconnected. same crap.

I hate you tbird. I hate you.

SOOOOOOOOO

i got everything buttoned up to start it today. I got it running, and idle in park is as good or better then it ever was. It seems like it may have an inch or so move vac which is a plus. The idle in drive, is noneeeeeeeeee. soon as I put it in drive, boom shuts down. it dosent stumble, just boom. off. I tried opening up the TB a bit, and got it so it juuuuuuuuuuust runs when the IAC is disconnected. same crap. My patience was low today so I just packed it up and will try again thursday..

I hate you tbird. I hate you.

Last edited:
Don't blame the bird. You had such a bad vacuum leak before that it was causing the car to cruise around on it's own, remember? So I shut down the in gear idle air and now it dies. Thus is the consequences of trying to tune stuff when it is mechanically not ready for tuning.

The good news is that it is easy to fix. Go back to your old file and compare the differences from your new one. Look at the IAC values that I changed. Change them back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yMQhXc1dHIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So i spent a half hour on the phone with Chris and alllllllllllllllllllll i had to do was just check with you. I may just have to call you first for now on! ;);)

I am happy it is an easy fix tho.

Last edited:
At least we are getting it tuned mechanically so it can be tuned correctly, electronically. :)

Thank goodness!

Seriously, we joke but this is the biggest problem facing SC owners. I fully understand that the "black box" under the dash is the root of all evil, but in reality it is tied hand and hand with the mechanics under the hood. One does not function without the other and I am putting everyone officially on notice (again) that it is not optional to understand not just one or the other, but BOTH if you want to have any success beyond 300rwhp.

Tuning has been the bane of SC owners as long as I have been around here, but so have mechanical issues and most of them have been caused by owner mis-step or ignorance, or by lack of maintenance. The remaining issues after those two major causes have been ruled out, are usually parts mismatches caused by a lack of understanding about what actually works vs. what can be bolted on.

You have been warned. ;) :D :eek: :cool:

hey listen now. I never said my car was ready. The last time I drove it something felt a little iffy about it and idle got a little higher and i looked all over for a leak but couldnt find. Then when I started the car to drive to dyno and got a CEL I knew it was all over. I said it wasn't gonna be kosher and you guys said nooooooononooooo its fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. so dont make it like I was ignorant to it cause i knew my poop was poop. ;)

Its hard to learn about tuning and what this and that would effect in the tune. I'v read aloooooooooot in the tuning forum but its so spaced out to get any kinda info, and hard to sort thru speculation of what people think something means. I usually get nowhere until I call Casey, Binksy, or Chris (thanks to all) would be kinda cool if like once a week, somebody in the know could write a paragraph or two about a single topic n how how it corresponds with certain things. not to make anybody an expert, but just to make it known that HEY, THIS THING EXISTS.

Last edited:
Well if you took your time putting it together in the first place...Putting a car together or taking it apart should never be a race. But perhaps this tim eyou learned your lesson..And fortunately it wasnt the hard way

I just spent a day with my car so I decided to buy one of these.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8pZklcho378" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had an issue with fuel pressure. It would only go up to about 50 then shoot down to about 30. today I changed my kirbin out for my old stock regulator, and at the same time, pulled the screen out of my filter and blew it out with some air. I didnt see anything in it, but I did it anyways. So it would't idle anymore. so Corey said do a lil this n that and boom had it running and fuel is holding at 60psi and went way rich for the first time evaaaaaaa. so I parked it right away and when I went back a few hours later to start workin on the tune, it started running like crap soon as I started driving it. I didn't change anything, and it started misfiring when I started getting into the throttle. went back to garage, pulled all the plugs and cleaned them up ( all were good except my #5 was pretty black ( :rolleyes: ). I unhooked the battery and tried it again and it was still poopy. I pulled the codes and I got some EGR crap and some other silly nonsense. my car dosent like KOER for whatever reason so I wasnt able to get that...

my AFR is crap according to Mr. LC-1 but my KAMS are pretty good most of the time then go whacky. I'm going to just shut them out until I can get some $s up for some o2 extensions so i can use my other set..

jussssst dont get how it goes from everything nicey nice and a few hours later its different.

Back