Supercharger/Intake Project

CoJo98v6

Thought that I'd share my project with everyone over here. I mostly post on V6power since I have the M90 on my '98 Stang.

I was going for the Magnum Powers MPX inlet port style. I started with a early style blower case.

I welded in some aluminum strips and cleaned it up with a carbide burr. Then I faced it off in my mill.

Ported the top outlet a little.

Cut out the inlet plate out of 1/2" thick aluminum.

welded some 1/4"th by 1" aluminum to add to the inlet plate.

Welded the 1/4" by 1" aluminum piece to the inlet plate. Now I just need to clean it up with the burr. Then I'll mill it flat. Then start fabbing up the rest of the inlet.

Just finished casting a front outlet SC top out of aluminum. I built a foundry furnace last summer, so I though I'd put it to use. Just need to clean it up and mill it flat.

Last edited:
Got the top cleaned up and fitted to the blower. I did cut the oulet tube long until I do the final fitment, then I'll put a weld bead around it to help keep the coupler on when under boost. Just need to powder coat it to match the blower.

Been working on the lower intake and just finished it today. I powder coated it almost chrome.

I welded on a new inlet as the photos show with a three inch tube on it. I plan on changing the intercooler tubes to three inch in the future.

I also cut the bottom out and polished the inside of the intake and welded a new bottom on to add a small amount more volume. I bent up a new sheet metal heat gaurd for the bottom.

Are you going to clean up the shape of the outlet? That V is whacked.

Are you refering to the top outlet on the SC case?

If so I'm not quite sure what you mean as whacked. I cut down the bolt bosses and widened the V a little bit to just when the rotors start to turn down (away from the case). Then radiused the edge down.

I'm always open to advise, if there something else I should have done different let me know.

Corey.

Not sure it was a good idea to remove that triangle shaped material from inside the intake manifold. It is intended to help balance the air flow to each cylinder.

David

Not sure it was a good idea to remove that triangle shaped material from inside the intake manifold. It is intended to help balance the air flow to each cylinder.

David

Has anybody removed it and had problems? I figured it was just there for strength between the upper and bottom of the intake. All the Weiand blower intakes are completely open on the inside. Maybe I'm wrong.

Corey.

Are you refering to the top outlet on the SC case?

If so I'm not quite sure what you mean as whacked. I cut down the bolt bosses and widened the V a little bit to just when the rotors start to turn down (away from the case). Then radiused the edge down.

I'm always open to advise, if there something else I should have done different let me know.

Corey.

The sides of the V should be perfectly straight and parallel to the blades. Awesome job on the inlet, I wish I could weld.

I guess it does not look perfectly straight because I did not cut the bolt bosses down completely. I just cut most of it and rounded it towards the case.

Has anybody removed it and had problems? I figured it was just there for strength between the upper and bottom of the intake. All the Weiand blower intakes are completely open on the inside. Maybe I'm wrong.

Corey.

Corey,

This thread has a lot of good data and bench flow test results for various manifold configurations. Making the manifold flow more, is not difficult, but keeping the flow to each cylinder balanced is. Wouldn't be all that big of a deal to have uneven flow to each cylinder if we had the ability to individually control fuel and ignition timing for each cylinder, but we don't.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104246&highlight=intake+manifold+testing

This thread also has a bunch of good information and lots of info on a new bottom discharge blower manifold made by Mike Tuck for this motor. Even though it looks great it has some issues with uneven flow to some of the cylinders. Jury is still out on if the addition of a liquid IC core will help to even up the flow to each cylinder.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84984

David

Last edited:
David,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I cannot open the first link, since I'm not a paying member. I would add the vane back in the intake, but I cut this one up a long time ago and never did anything with it until now, so I dont remember how they were. By chance do you have a photo of the vanes?

Corey.

Thanks for all your comments.

I went ahead and moddified a second intake that still has the vane inside of it. I welded the inlet up similar to the one -Kevin Leitem- is doing (posted in the technical fourm). I'll have pictures later. Started on the SC inlet also.

Corey.

Ive heard everything from the triangular vain being there to help with casting as well as balancing the airflow. Ive had a few B&M roots type blowers on various cars and they didnt have a vain...However they are blowing straight down,,, A few have raised the top of the intake to give a larger plenum area but I dont think I;m 100% convinced its needed.

Now as far as your return inlet plenum Id try to keep the curves as smoth as posible without sharp turns. You can easily bend your aluminum plate rathe rthen welding it together in angles only Also 3" is probably not needed IC tube wise nd on the bigger than needed size.

Great work . I especially love the blower mods. Plan on working on anything else?

Got the intake done and tacked together the intercooler tubes going to it. the stock intercooler tubes are 2.5, so I went from 2.5" to 3" into the intake. I figured if I used 3" for the tight bend it would restrict it less.

looking good.
Once you get it done. maybe take that piece out and have it remade out of Mandrel bent piping. then no restriction you are worried about.
2.5" pipe to the 3" intake part.

Back