Lookign to buy a S/C, Advice.

tbirdsc15

Never had an S/C But have always wanted one badly, Have a chanc now but would like input. My friend has one that he wants to sell me, 1990 S/C Black with grey leather. Ver slight paint bubbles on quarters above rear wheels, Trunk lid, Hood, And both bumpers have been repainted. Been sitting for thre years due to a blown automatic trans. He installed a rebuilt trans from the auto parts store, Looks like it has had head gaskets done, Has four BRAND NEW tires, and brand new brakes and rotors front and rear. He lost interest in car and doesnt want it any more. Cluster says 055879 for miles, Car looks way to dirty for that low of miles, Now the down side, Car sat outside on grass for a year, Has the rusted in the grass underbody. Looks very solid but looks rusty, cat also has no exhasut system from manifolds back. I have not drove it due to the lack of the exhaust but seems to run great. He wants 1500.00 for the car that is what he has invested into it. I can do mechanical work as I am a Ford Auto tech. Does this seem like a fair price ???? PLease help, I want to become a supercoupe owner. Everyone on here looks like they have great knoledge of these cars and can help me. Thanks again, Rob.

i'd buy it, but then again i own 8 and the general consensus is that i buy everyone i can, i beg the differ but who am i to say? :rolleyes:

you won't be disappointed these are fun and ADDICTIVE cars

there are the requirements to being a successful supercoupe owner

1> patience second to none
2> understanding spouse
3> second vehicle
4> general knowledge of auto mechanics
5> live near an autoparts store (preferably)

lol

Im laughing my but off. Yes it would be a second car, Yes there are lots of auto parts stores near me, Yes I am a Ford Auto tech so Working on it is not a problum, And yes I am single so no worries there. And yes for the most part I have patience. Thank you for the input. Rob.

i'd buy it, but then again i own 8 and the general consensus is that i buy everyone i can, i beg the differ but who am i to say? :rolleyes:

you won't be disappointed these are fun and ADDICTIVE cars

there are the requirements to being a successful supercoupe owner

1> patience second to none
2> understanding spouse
3> second vehicle
4> general knowledge of auto mechanics
5> live near an autoparts store (preferably)

IMHO Worth every bit :cool:

if there's bubbling of the paint above the wheel well it is a whole bunch of greif and heartache if you want to fix it.

My '89 Cougar had that and it ended up being a huge mistake buying the car.

Because of the sprayed on insulation you can't really tell how bad it is. from underneath. With a mirror and a flashlight you should be able to get a look from inside the trunk.

I dare say you will see a whole bunch of rust. I ended up cutting the rear quarter off of a 93 and welding it in place but it did not end up all that well.

My advice is to forgo any 'bird that has rust. You may have to spend more, or do a bit of travelling to find a rust free example but in the long run you will be much happier.

I would post pics of the rot but it is too depressing.

Regards

Sean

Thank you

Yes it has a couple of rust bubbles on the quarters, very slight, about a one inch spot at the very back of the wheel opening right where the bumper meets, the underside of the car is very rusted, it has rockers but they as well are rusted. Im not buying this to restore, just to drive once in a while. I love these cars and have always watned one. As the car sits, It has a brand new trans, Four brand new toyo tires, Brand new brake pads, rotors all the way around and new rear calipers. Interior is pretty clean and in good shape, Has some vacume leaks at the motor as I have already found like a the ic pipe to charger, Over all runs good, Needs exhaust from manifolds to resinator as it is missing, I drove the car with open manifolds and it ran good, The super charger has also been rebuilt and is pushing 13 psi of boost at wide open throtle. I took an auto meter boost gauge with me and hooked it up to drive the car, Didnt trust the factory gauge. the hood, trunk lids and both front and rear bumpers have been repainted here in my dealership that i work at. my trans tech here rebuilt the trans. I added up the reciepts and there is 2500.00 in new parts on the car right now, It was a former coworkers car who bought it to fix it then decided to quit here and go work onhis own, now he is desperate for money and needs to sell the car. hope this added info helps. Think i am going to go get it. Just having a hard time buying one of these cars knowing what it takes to keep them going. lol.

Back