Idle adjustment

spamdaddy

Is there a way to manually adjust the timing on a 94 SC? The previous owner had installed an OD pulley, not sure the percentage, which I think makes the car idle a little low. It idles around 500 when in drive. It will dip down a little lower and stumble when I am parking or backing up. Thanks.

That has nothing to do with either the pulley or the timing. Either something is dragging the motor down (like bad supercharger bearings) or the MAF is not reading correctly. Try cleaning the MAF.

when using an auto the idle is supposed to rise slightly when a gear is engaged. is it a drag like you can tell there is a power loss or is it just a very low idle. if just a low idle then check all of your electrical connection to the tranny. the main wire harness is your target. it runs from the tranny to right in-front of your ash tray under the trim in the cab. if not that then there is a possibility of the pick up switches inside your tranny have issues. i have little experience with the auto's so i cant really tell you anything about the insides of the tranny.

when i temporarily converted my car to an auto, the pc was not for an auto and once a gear was engaged it to would dip to around 5-600rpm. sometimes it would even stall. im not sure how you could check for this other then pulling the pc for a look but there is the possibility that it might have a manual pc in it to.

Either something is dragging the motor down (like bad supercharger bearings) or the MAF is not reading correctly. Try cleaning the MAF.

This is interesting. Bad bearing can drag the car down to stall? Is there a way to detect if the bearings are bad BEFORE they start to make the grinding sound? Thanks Dave, really interesting info.

Jeeze.. how long have you all been here? Hows that passenger side engine mount looking.. :rolleyes: And for the 100th time.. NO.. Im NOT joking. ;) Do a search on "motor mount idle" and read up on the subject.

Idle

The car runs great other than at the times mentioned earlier. I have cleaned the MAF recently, but it can't hurt to it again. I have been told that I will need motor mounts very soon. Transmission seems to shift fine. I have disonnected/reconnected all the plugs under the console panel during other things and they are secure.

Back