Getting ready to add my first SC

Hasher76

picking up a 92 SC 5-speed here shortly. Already done a whole heap of reading on here and picked up tons of information. I will get pics up when the deal is done and get started on the mods already.....and there is a list already brewing.

wow been reading all night again. Main thing I am looking into is the vibration the engine has during revving with the clutch in or out, either in neutral or gear. The crank pulley is out of round I can see while running, the harmonic is a BHJ solid. In my readings I see that these motors vibrate, so I doubt its anything to worry about, its just new to me. Car runs crazy fast and loads of power. I am excited to be getting this, its my first boosted car. I have a hotrod toy, a 71 Nova SS 350 4-speed, this is just a different type of animal all together.

Sounds like you might want to get a new pulley? If so, have it zero balanced to the BHJ... Don't think they should be noticeably wobbly

Welcome to the club....

Last edited:
Go ahead an get another crank pulley....

Any wobble can cause metal fatigue and eventually it will fail....

I have a few good ones at my shop.....:p

Check your motor mounts.....

You will see metal tabs sticking out an opening on the side of the motor mount housings.....

If the tabs are at the bottom of the opening, then the mount is bad.....

motor mounts were replaced when the new HB was installed amongst other items so I believe them to be ok, I went looking at them yesterday in the rain and didnt see them from the top, I will get under it to verify their condition. The crank pulley has new bolts in it so it should be easy to remove. So would I remove the HB as well and take it to a shop for balancing? Or is there a garage method?

motor mounts were replaced when the new HB was installed amongst other items so I believe them to be ok, I went looking at them yesterday in the rain and didnt see them from the top, I will get under it to verify their condition. The crank pulley has new bolts in it so it should be easy to remove. So would I remove the HB as well and take it to a shop for balancing? Or is there a garage method?

Suggest replacing the crank pulley with a zero balance aluminum pulley. Several of the vendors sell an underdrive pulley kit that includes a smaller crank pulley and larger waterpump and alternator pulleys that will correct the wobble and balance issue, and provide another 10-15 HP at the same time.

Or you can purchase a 10% OD crank pulley from MP that is zero balance and larger than stock on the blower drive portion. I believe that at least on of the vendors is selling a stock size aluminum crank pulley that is also zero balance. I wouldn't bother with trying to balance the stock stamped steel pulley.

David

Suggest replacing the crank pulley with a zero balance aluminum pulley. Several of the vendors sell an underdrive pulley kit that includes a smaller crank pulley and larger waterpump and alternator pulleys that will correct the wobble and balance issue, and provide another 10-15 HP at the same time.

Or you can purchase a 10% OD crank pulley from MP that is zero balance and larger than stock on the blower drive portion. I believe that at least on of the vendors is selling a stock size aluminum crank pulley that is also zero balance. I wouldn't bother with trying to balance the stock stamped steel pulley.

David

i will look into the ud kit too, thanks

Back